Chapter 5

As I'm unlocking my car, Jacob catches up to me. He grabs my door just as I get in. He starts,"Kali it's not what it seem like. She's just a friend, I'm not in a relationship with her. You know what us athletes do with those girls."

"Athletes ? Jacob you never told me you were a professional althete." I say looking confused.

"I assumed you saw I was drafted to the Celtics last week. I mean, everyone was watching. Do you like don't watch tv ?" He asks.

Anger clear on my face,"You're insulting me and you just got caught with some bitch ? Really , Jacob ? So this is how you professional athletes are , huh ?"

"Wait, you do know we're not dating, right ? We only went out once and you're already catching feelings ?"

I don't know why I'm acting like this but Jacob is right.

I manage to say,"Bye, Jacob."

Next thing I know I am stopping at a red light. I just realize that I got angry over some bitch. Jacob and I aren't even together, what is wrong with me ? I need to focus on school and get my shit together. My thoughts are all over the place during my ride home. I get my bags and lock the car. While walking to my room, I decide to just take a shower and do some studying. Yea, that'll get my mind straight. I grab some yoga pants and my Nike sports bra. Just as I close the door, I hear my notification sound on my phone.

I grab my phone out my purse:
New Message:
Jacob:

*I'm sorry about what I said earlier. I'd like the chance to explain what happened. This is all a misunderstanding. Text me soon.*

I read the message and continue my journey to the shower. I take a long, soothing shower to give myself a chance to get my shit together. I try to convince myself that my reaction earlier was due to my lack of sleep. But, I know that's not why. It's just something about Jacob that seems different, worth getting to know. I dry off and put on my clothes then walk back to my room. I decide to text Jacob back to clear up this bullshit.

Me:
* Jacob , there's no need for an explanation. I apologize for my behavior earlier. Your relationships have nothing to do with me , that's your business. You were right, we're not in a relationship. So , let's leave it at that.*

Literally 1 minute later Jacob responds:

Jacob:
*It's not like that. Kali , can I just come over to talk about it in person ?*
Me:
*Whatever. Not long , I'm studying.*
Jacob:
*I'm on my way now.*

I set my books out on my bed to make it seem like I've been studying. In least than 20 minutes, Jacob knocks at the door. Without even thinking, I open the door. I can see the concerned look on his face. He walks over to take a seat on my bed.

"Kali, I'm sorry about earlier. It's not what you think it is." He says.

"Jacob , it's no problem. I clearly overreacted and like you said we're not in a relationship."

"Okay, so you understand that us athletes have our fun with women right ? " Shock appears on my face.

As nonchalant as possible I respond,

"Yea. I completely understand. So , is that all you wanted ?"

Jacob seems to be surprised,"Yea, that was it." Then he storms out the door. I sit on my bed and get to studying.