Chapter 36.1: Abominations

Chapter 36

[Mist Knight] immediately ran it's blade through the strange creature's heart while Max swiftly decapitated it. Meanwhile, Kai had moved the red shield behind them, where the footsteps were coming from.

There was an even louder thump. This time the spikes from the shield had proliferated the other creature's vitals. Instantly killing it.

Max could see what the creature was. It looked similar to the "woman" he had just killed. Just what was it?

Max laid both corpses side by side. They looked like their bodies were stitched together. Almost sinisterly. Just what were they?

As he was observing them, he heard another deep howl within the tunnel. There was something there...

Just as he thought that, the corpses of the strange creatures turned into black dusts.

"These are... flies?" Max said out loud.

The corpses transformed into massive plumes of flies and they flew deep into the darkness. Just what are these creatures? Max needed to travel further into the tunnel to see what was in there.

He slowly walked deep into the tunnel. Carefully travelling through the tunnel. He was still cautious about the strange creatures in the tunnel.

Kai had summoned a red shield both behind and in front of him. [Dusk Djinn] kept a lookout in case something did sneak out from the darkness while Max and [Mist Knight] were in charge of offense. Their formation was solid and somehow Max felt slightly safer. He couldn't imagine what might have happened if any of them weren't there with him previously during the onslaught.

He walked into the tunnel in silence until he started to hear strange growlings from deep inside the tunnel.

All of them stopped moving. They were cautious. Suddenly the tunnels were filled with howls. Almost as if they walked into a den of wolves.

"Kai, keep the shield up. I have no plans to die here." Max said in his head.

Almost immediately as he said that, multiple impacts could be heard on the massive red shield.

There were sounds of multiple wild beasts growling all around them. Something sinister was watching them once again. The assault on the shield continued.

Max continued to observe his surroundings. He needed to identify the attack patterns of the strange creatures.

"Max... The shield won't hold up much..." Kai said in his head.

"I know! Just shut up and maintain it for a while..." Max said as he continued keeping an eye on the mysterious creature that was attacking them.

There were sounds of howling filled the air while the constant thumps echoed around the air. Max could see the shockwaves running across the shield. It looked almost mesmerising if it weren't for the fact that they were very close from being killed. It was then it hit him. The shock waves had a strange pattern...

There were only 3 origins that the shockwaves started from. They were always the same. It seems the creature was specifically attacking only these three points. It was quite intelligent to know where to strike. This creature also had intelligence unlike the many that wandered in the wildlands.

Max memorised it's attack patterns and soon had formulated a plan. It had to work... right?

"1... 2... 3... 1... 2... 3... 1... 2... NOW!" Max yelled.

Almost immediately, the shield deactivated and both of his beast spirits attacked at the same point simultaneously. Kai had moulded the shield into a massive hand and had covered the strange creature's escape path. It was trapped. Sure enough, their attack had struck it's mark. But it didn't hit it's vitals.