Forty three

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Y/N

''Tch, brat. What are you doing here?'' Levi groaned as he rolled his eyes, avoiding eye contact, ''you always seem to get yourself into awkward situations like this.''

He was right.

I did that a lot and I should think twice before doing things.

''Y-Yeah I—'' I stammered, trying my best to come up with a believable excuse, but I also didn't want to make things even more awkward.

''I'm sure you just wanted to go to the bathroom!'' Hange laughed, ''but you saw us on the way and decided to greet us, right?''

Hange had saved me, the awkward tension between Levi and I got less intense, which made me feel a little better. I wasn't sure what I should say to him, considering we aren't together anymore. And besides that, I didn't want to rush him into being with me.

If he even still wanted to be with me after everything.

All I wanted was a normal conversation about it, though. I wanted to know why things happened the way they did. I wanted to know why the first thing he did after getting fired was break up with me while he promised me we'd fight for each other. As cringy as that sounds.

I'm not sure why I even came up to their table like this. Hange was with him, so, it would be a bit awkward to ask Levi to talk to me with Hange being there too. I could've just waited for him to respond to me, but God knows when that would be. I sighed as I looked at Hange, desperately wanting to ask if they were on a date together.

''Who are you with?'' Hange asked. Maybe this is my chance to ask them if they're here for romantic purposes. I'll tell Hange I'm with my friends and then ask them ... nevermind. I turned my head to face my friends, who didn't pay attention to me except Annie. She looked at me with a frown and I immediately got the message.

She did tell me to fight for him, but maybe this wasn't the best way to do it.

Right. I should've waited for him to talk to me! I always have a habit of finding out what I'm doing wrong when everything happened already. How annoying.

''I'm here with my friends,'' I replied, trying my best to look Hange in the eyes. Hange just smiled and nodded, it was like they were waiting for me to ask the question I was desperate to ask. But what was the smoothest way to ask them? I couldn't just be like;

''Are you two on a date?''

No, I would just be embarrassing myself even more that way. So, I simply nodded and smiled back at Hange, who then suddenly burst out into laughter. Laughing— it was more like screaming mixed with laughing, wrapping their arms around their tummy.

''I know what you're thinking, the answer is no'' Hange wiped away tears that had fallen on their cheek from the sudden outburst. I raised both brows at them, looking at Levi for a second who had no idea what was going on. Luckily, Hange had seen right through me, reading me like a book.

''I'm just helping Levi out,'' they answered as they placed a hand on his shoulder with force, causing him to roll his eyes and click his tongue in annoyance. ''He wants to open a tea shop!''

I began to smile without meaning to— and realising it, causing Levi to grow even more annoyed. I knew he loved tea, so, him opening a tea shop suited him. He asked Hange for help, knowing they would probably be able to help him.

''That's... great,'' I smiled at him, ''I think you'll do great. I hope I can visit the shop sometime. I'm sure you'll do a good job.''

Levi slightly widened his eyes before breaking the eye contact. ''Tch, brat,'' he whispered. Hange looked at Levi and then back at me, quirking their brows in confusion. ''Aren't you two together? Why aren't you talking to each other? Are you okay?"

Hange didn't know. Levi didn't tell them. Does that mean he doesn't want his friends to know what's going on? He doesn't want his friends to know— or think we've broken up. A spark of hope burnt inside of me and I took a deep breath, not quite knowing what to answer. Levi probably hadn't told Hange for a reason. I still wanted to be with him, so, it was up to Levi now.

''It's not important, crazy four eyes. Keep your nose out of other people's business.''

''But you want me to help you with your business,'' Hange shot back, tilting their head as they spoke, ''with your tea shop! Am I not getting anything back in return?''

''I've asked you to help me with that kind of business. I didn't ask you to interfere with my relationship.''

''Fine, fine!'' Hange spoke loudly, waving their hands in front of Levi's face, ''I won't ask you about it again.'' They looked at me for a second before leaning over to Levi, placing their hand next tot heir mouths so I wasn't able to hear anything, ''but don't give up on her so easily, you'll regret it in the end,'' Hange whispered into Levi's ear.

I looked at Levi, who clicked his tongue again but didn't say a single word. ''Well,'' I sighed, breathing in a sharp breath right after, ''I should go back to my friends. I'll see you two around,'' I smiled weakly. I walked away, back to my friends, sitting down on my seat.

''Where have you been?'' Kurumi asked, suddenly noticing I had been gone for some time. All of them looked at me and my eyes shifted to Annie, locking eyes with her. Her eyes pierced right through me and it honestly made me feel a little nervous.

''Did you shit or something?'' Eren suddenly asked, ''you went to the bathroom, right? You were gone for so long so you must've—''

Thank you, Annie.

Annie cut Eren off by hitting the top of his head full force with her fist, causing the boy to groan in pain and cover his head with both hands. He whined as he looked at me with one eye open, ''I'm sorry I just thought—''

''Don't make me punch you again, Eren.''