Gossip Girls

-Don't do that ever again, okay? I thought I was dying. Are you insane?! 

The paramedic glanced at her patient curiously and embarrassed. They both decided it was her time to leave to give them some space. 

-May I remind you that I was the one stuck down there, Buck. I almost died. 

-Felt the same as if we had locked me in a coffin. I'm claustrophobic. Am I? 

-Easy Buck, he laughed, chill out. Look, I'm here; I'm okay. No need to worry anymore. 

Buck huffed, realizing Eddie was right and that he was still worried about something that isn't an emergency anymore. 

-Are you okay? He finally asked, knowing he did not ask until now. 

-A bit cold. I was looking forward to taking some days off; I could have thought about it earlier, he suggested. 

Buck stared at him angrily. Eddie smiled. He liked mocking him even more when he was the one saying stupid things, and Buck was the one taking it too seriously like a mad father. 

-Both of you, Hen said, walking to them and packing up her stuff. It might be the right time to stop putting your lives at risk and ending up in the back of my ambo. Are you trying to keep it regular? She asked, concerned. 

The two men made a dumb and guilty face before standing up. Eddie was holding a blanket tight around his shoulders. He was walking, distracted and thoughtful, on the watch of his best friend. 

-What did you see? He asked when sitting on the firetruck's sill, his hands cold and wet. 

Eddie looked at him, concerned and lost. He frowned. 

-What do you mean? 

-Down there in the pit. What did you see? You've been stuck for almost fifteen minutes, and you almost drowned. You must have seen the entire film of your life, so, what was it? 

Eddie glanced at what used to be the pit around which firefighters were working, securing the zone and working with some stuff. The storm went away, and the rain went softer, still, cold. 

-My son, he admitted. His birth, in fact. 

-You were there? Thought you were in Afghanistan. 

-I left one week after. Shannon never stopped blaming me for that, he added, embittered. 

-But you're here now; that's all Christopher remembers. What happened? He may have already forgotten it. 

-My son has an incredible brain, Buck. I doubt he forgot. 

The young man shrugged, feeling helpless. It was a fact, Christopher was a genius, though he couldn't even do anything with his legos. 

-You didn't see anything else? 

Eddie once again stared at him. For a second, he forgot about the plot of their discussion. He shrugged again. 

-I forgot. I wasn't in a good state of mind, and I was trying not to drown. I did not pay attention to everything that was going on over there, he responded. 

-My Spidey sense tells me you're not telling me everything, Diaz, he suggested, running to him to catch him up. 

-Buck, stop talking, he asked, exhausted, though affected by his best friend's worry. 

-Oh my god, I'm offended. You know that...

-Buck! A voice called behind their backs. Leave Eddie for a minute and come over giving some help, would you? His captain ordered when staring at him from the other side of the fence, wearing a disapproving but gentle look.