III ~ Small Talk

III ~ Small Talk

Piper went into Annabeth's bathroom and poured a few handfuls of bath salts into the large tub. Then she put the plug in and turned the taps on. Water flowed out and slowly filled up the tub while Annabeth came into the room.

"Thanks Pipes." She grinned.

"No problem, Lady Annabeth." Piper bowed to friend mockingly.

Annabeth blushed. "Oh come on Piper! You don't have to bow to me or call me 'Lady Annabeth'."

"Very well." Piper smirked. "Lady Annabeth."

Annabeth glowered at Piper before turning and grabbing the soaps. Piper turned off the tap as the bath came almost full, and stepped out of the room.

The soft fabric of Annabeth's nightclothes came off as the princess stripped and climbed into the warm water. She sighed contently as the soft scent of lemons came to her nose before she relaxed into the water.

Half an hour later, she was sitting comfortably in the dress Piper had picked out while her friend did her hair.

Piper pulled the brush through Annabeth's silky blonde hair, occasionally drying it with a towel. Then she divided it up into three sections and braided it, putting a blue ribbon in each section and pulling the hair tight. Afterwards, Annabeth thanked her and stood up before making her way down to Breakfast.

•••

"Annabeth, dear." Her mother spoke softly to her as she sat at the table.

"Yes mother?" Annabeth sighed, playing with her food even though she wasn't supposed to.

"Are you okay with the arranged marriage?"

"To tell you the truth," Annabeth began, picking her words out carefully, "I want you send them a note saying: 'Sorry, we're cancelling the wedding. This is going to turn out horribly if it goes any further. We'll accept your declarations of war in the morning.' And then get it over with, but I'll kind of feel guilty if I say that. So, for the good of the kingdom, I'll accept." [Brave anyone?]

Queen Athena was taken aback. She composed herself before answering, "very well. They'll arrive before lunch." Then Matthew, Bobby and King Frederick came down for Breakfast and the conversation stopped.

•••

Annabeth nervously smoothed down her dress as she stood in the royal entrance hall beside her mother. Grand trumpets boomed in the distance, and the trotting hooves of horses could be heard as the carriage pulled into the grounds.

A moment later, three people entered. King Poseidon and Queen Sally trotted in along with their eight year-old daughter Ariel. Then a boy entered.

All Annabeth could stare at was his bright sea green eyes. They made her feel relaxed and peaceful. For a moment, the prince's eyes locked on hers and he smiled. But then he looked away towards Queen Athena. Annabeth couldn't help but feel disappointed.