Mistress!?

Regina's POV

"what did you just call me!?" "nothing, Hecate." "that's not what you said the first time." "I'm not going to repeat it." "just answer this, did you or did you not just call me mistress?" "I... Did." She just gave me a weird face. "why?" "I don't know! Je ne pensais pas!" "What?" "I wasn't thinking!" "Tell me why your mind went to calling me that." No... No. No! NO! "You don't want to know." "Was it that headmistress?" Fuck!

I went silent.

"are you two finished yet?" Ada had transferred into the room. "we're fine, Ada." "Regina, are you okay?" They turned toward me and I stayed quiet. "I believe that I may have brought forward unpleasant memories." "Hecate, you of all people should know how to help then." "I do, but I don't know if Regina is willing to listen to me." "I am. Just don't bring up what happened, please." "okay." "thanks." I kissed her cheek before holding her hand in mine.

We transferred into her room.

"seeing as this is your magic lesson time, let's see if we can help." "how?" "mind spells." "mind spells?" "yes, though these are normally quite hard if you're not a mind witch." "mind witch!?" there are different types of witches!? "yes, there are different types of witches. Ada is a time witch, Dimity is a practical potions witch, Miss Tapioca is a cookery witch and I am a potions witch myself." "what kind of witch would I be?" "let's try some spells and find out, but first is the mind ones. As this is the most unlikely it is easy to rule out."

We went and sat on the sofa.

Hecate transferred a book into her lap and started flicking through it. "ah... Here we are, mind spells for beginners." "what spell is first?" "mind reading." "that seams hard." "if you can't do this then you aren't a mind witch, it's a test of sorts." "okay?" "say the words while looking at me." "I'm guessing I've got to memorise them then." "yes." "great."

I spent a few minutes going over the words repeatedly in my head.

I turned to Hecate. I recited the words in my head before speaking. "As if her thoughts were said, let me see inside this witches head." My hands glow for a moment but nothing happened. "try again." I nodded before trying again. "As if her thoughts were said, let me see inside this witches head." I said it with more aggression than perhaps necessary. The same thing happened.

"Regina, calm down. Nerves and magic don't mix. Take a few deep breaths and try again. It's fine if can't do it, it just means you are a different type of witch. It could mean that you are a Potions witch like me, now wouldn't that be ironic?" "it would." "so, relax and try again." I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and recited the words.

"As if her thoughts were said, let me see inside this witches head." Suddenly my hands start to glow and Hecate is sat staring at me. 'Did it work, can you hear this?' my hands stop glowing and I'm sat in silence. "so... Could you hear me?" "I'll tell you this, I'm not a Potions witch." "so, you could hear me?" "yep." "you're a mind witch, I've uh... Never met one in person." "here I am, nothing special about me." "nothing special, there are around ten people like you in the entire witching world." "how many witches are like you?" "around one hundred and fifty."

"wow, I really didn't think I was that special." 'oh, trust me you are, more than I can tell you'. "uh... Hecate dear. I believe I just heard your thought." "what!?" I shrugged. "how am I supposed to know!" "you're the mind witch! " "yeah, and I just found out." we just sat in silence.

So, apparently, I can read minds now!