Gaibotsu Games: Ascension Chapter 7 - Twin Tale

Kuromu and Hikari were off duty and sitting in the living room. They had been relatively silent the entire time, not saying a word. They were looking at a family portrait. It was a picture of their younger selves, alongside their mom and dad.

Kuromu: "He would have been 41 today..."

Hikari: "No one deserved to die that young..."

It was November 2nd, and it was a particularly sentimental day for the Ohtori family. It was the birthday of Kuromu and Hikari's father, Ohtori Fujitaka. Their mother, Eriko, was watching alongside Ryutaro.

Ryutaro: "Once again, I'm... sorry for your loss..."

Eriko: "It's all fine, we should just let them have their time alone... I guess I'll just close the place for today so nothing interrupts them."

Ryutaro: "Alright..."

~~Flashback...~~

It was January 1st, 1996, the day Kuromu and Hikari were born. Fujitaka and Eriko were not expecting to have twins, so this was a true surprise indeed. Nevertheless, they were proud to finally start a family.

Fujitaka: "Such beautiful children of ours, now we are to name them..."

Eriko: "I'll name the girl... Hikari."

Fujitaka: "And I'll name the boy... Kuromu."

The two smiled, they had named their children and were now set to be a family. Over the next couple of years, Fujitaka did his best to be an amazing father to the Ohtori twins.

One particular night, it was storming heavily. Kuromu and Hikari were sharing a room with bunk beds because they didn't have their own individual rooms yet. It was a stormy night in the year 2000, and the twins were only four. The storm was scary to them, and they were on the verge of crying.

Hikari: "Ahhhh! Brother, I'm scared!"

Kuromu: "Sister, I'm scared to!"

Fujitaka then entered the room to see what the ruckus was, and saw his children crying. He sighed, and walked to them. He kneeled down and looked at them, trying to cheer them up.

Fujitaka: "Kuromu... Hikari... what's wrong?"

Hikari: "Th-the storm, it's scary!"

Kuromu: "Are we gonna die?!"

Fujitaka: "No, of course not... I'm not letting a storm hurt my children." He said, chuckling.

Fujitaka: "So, the storm is keeping you two awake?"

The twins nodded, and Fujitaka sighed softly. He got up and went to a bookshelf, grabbing a book and walking back in front of his kids. He opened the book, looking at Kuromu and Hikari.

Fujitaka: "Allow me to read you a bedtime story, hopefully it will help you forget about the storm..."

Kuromu: "Okay..."

Fujitaka: "It all began in the Sengoku Jidai era... There was a young ronin named Osafune Sanjuro. Osafune was known for his selfish yet determined nature, and it lasted that way throughout most of his life. However, the one thing he feared most was... storms..."

Fujitaka: "During one of his trips, Osafune stumbled across a little girl who was sitting under a tree during a fierce storm. The little girl was too afraid to leave, and Osafune wanted to save her... but the fierce thunderclap the sky was giving truly conflicted him."