Gaibotsu Games: Ascension Chapter 39 - In One's Light

It had been a day since Kuromu had died, and everyone was rather silent. Eriko heard about the news, and she was devastated. She, alongside Hikari and Reo, were taking the news very hard. Ryutaro and Sumire were sitting silently in the main room of the restaurant, talking.

Ryutaro: "I... I can't believe he's gone..." He said, still feeling like shedding tears.

Sumire: "I'm... I'm sorry this happened, Ryutaro."

Ryutaro: "You don't need to be sorry, mom. It wasn't your fault..."

Sumire: "What... what would you say is your favorite memory of him?"

Ryutaro: "My favorite memory? Oh... well, I don't have one in particular... but I always loved when the two of us tag-teamed in Gaibotsu battles."

Sumire: "That's good to hear, positive memories are always important..."

Ryutaro: "I know... and this isn't even the only thing I'm worried about. What about Hikari? She's the most devastated out of all of us."

Sumire: "I... I don't know, I haven't seen Hikari all day. If I had to guess, I would assume she's taking this really hard."

Ryutaro: "Yeah..."

Sumire: "But Ryutaro, I have a question for you..."

Ryutaro: "What is it?"

Sumire: "Even though Zero is the one who killed Kuromu... do you still want to help him turn good?"

Ryutaro: "Of... of course... Zero is my brother, and I will stop at nothing! I don't want revenge, I want to help him!"

Sumire: "As expected, I knew you'd say that." She said, smiling.

Reo was sitting at the park by himself, and it was obvious what was on his mind. In a way, he was a bit pissed off at himself for just sitting there while his cousin got impaled and killed. Hajime was also in the park, leaning against a tree. He had witnessed everything, and was still thinking about it.

Reo: "Grrr... I should've stopped fighting Jinguji!"

Hajime looked on at Reo, sighing in a way that had very mixed emotions present. He could tell Reo was upset at a lot of things, and for good reason. It had been a few weeks to a month since Reo finally got along with his cousins, and it feels like he lost Kuromu too soon.

Hajime: "Reo..."

Reo: "Huh?"

Hajime: "I see you're upset about Kuromu. Don't worry, you have every right to be."

Reo: "Of course I do, he's my fucking cousin! Just when things finally go smoothly, Zero takes his goddamn life!"

Hajime: "That must've been what he was planning all along..."

Reo: "What do you mean?"

Hajime: "Zero and Shinigami were avoiding Ryutaro and Zennyo the entire time, focusing more on your cousins. He probably wanted to kill them both..."

Reo: "Tch... that bastard... the next time he appears, I'd guess he probably wants to finish the job. But I'm not going to let that happen, I'll protect Hikari!"

Balta: "That's good to hear, Reo." Balta said, walking up.

Reo: "Balta?"

Balta: "I'm... sorry for your loss, Reo."