Purple

Monday May 9th 2025

7:32 AM

"It's my birthday! It's my birthday! It's my birthday!" Zeek rapped, dancing around the house in his basketball shorts. The girls plugged their ears as Sam turned the water off to wash the dishes from breakfast.

"Zeek," the tired mother called, "your birthday is Saturday," she reminded. The four-year-old rolled his eyes and dropped on the couch with the rest of his waffle in hand. "You're still eating that?" Sam asked, having given him that waffle half an hour ago. The little boy chuckled, chomping down on his breakfast. "Hurry up, Zeekie, you gotta put your shirt on. April will be here soon with the other kids and you have to get on your meet.

"Robbie H, no wear a shirt!" He argued. Sam rolled her eyes and took a deep breath. Matt had gone in early, leaving Sam to parent alone.

"Robbie, isn't my son," Sam replied. "Girls, go get dressed. Zeek finished eating. Mommy is going to take a shower. If April comes while I'm in the shower, she's in charge. Not Ella. Not Ellie. Not Zeek. April," Sam announced, putting the last dish away and moving towards her bedroom to get ready for her day.

7:58 AM

Sam stepped out of the shower and gathered her wet hair into a bun. She didn't have time to blow dry it, so she pulled it into two braids. Quietly, Sam stared at the pink in her hair. It almost seemed unfair. She looked like K Howard, aside from the bump. She knew K Howard inside and out. She was K Howard. But, she wouldn't get the chance to open for the last time with her.

Her Broadway theater career was coming to a close for a few years and she couldn't even go out with a bang with the role that brought her there. She was thankful for her time, but she was glad to be leaving. Moving to Newark would keep her close to the theater district, but out of the city. She was excited to get out of the city and more excited that her sister's family was moving in with her and her family. It was going to cut the cost down and the kids would get to grow up together.

They were putting the downpayment on the house in a few months, and moving in before the baby was born and after the wedding. She was still close to her friends, but the kids school was going to have to change. Thankfully, her kids were sociable and their current friend's were thirty minutes away.

Life was moving very fast, but Sam was excited for the new challenge.

10:45 AM

Sam sat out watching her friends perform All You Wanna Do. She was at the point where she literally had her own seat at the table. Her face was dead as she watched Courtney slay her part. She was jealous, but she hadn't gone to the chiropractor, yet to get her ribs fully back. So, she sat staring at them with a dead face. Nicole noticed and nudged her coworker. "Fix your face," she whispered through a chuckle. Sam slowly rolled her eyes and dropped the dead stare, her face going neutral.

"The only thing you wanna do is," Courtney finished. Sam clapped out of courtesy with everyone else and sat up.

"Alright guys, let's take five, then, we can come back to Don't Lose Your Head," Mitch announced. Sam took a sip of water as Andrea came over to the end of the table. Nicole and Mallory left the table to head to the group and bathroom.

"Hi, boo. Are you okay?" Andrea asked, leaning in front of Sam. The actress nodded and dropped her head onto her arm.

"Yeah. I have a headache," Sam lied. Andrea squatted in front of the table as Britt came over. Everyone could see the tension growing between Sam and Courtney. It was making for a very hostile work environment.

"What's wrong, friend?" Britt asked, squatting down next to Andrea at the edge of the table. Sam shook her head.

"Nothing, my back hurts," Sam said. Andrea looked at her confused.

"I thought your head hurt," Andrea asked. Britt pursed her lips and popped an eyebrow. Sam shrugged.

"Do you want me to sit here and list off all of the things that hurt because of this baby? Because I can," Sam sassed, sitting up and leaning against her hand. "I don't even know why they bring me in. I've been sitting in this chair since Monday," Sam muttered, slouching in her hard metal chair.

"Yeah, I don't get it either. They said they were paying you the same as your contract, but you're literally not doing anything. Ask Kelly if you can just stay at home. I mean, you'd be more comfortable there, anyways," Britt said. Sam agreed, but she didn't want to raise anymore hell.

"It's fine. I'll make Matt give me massage, tonight," Sam mumbled. Her side's were killing her, but getting up to move was worse. Andrea and Britt could see the tired mother was kicking her legs on the edge and didn't want to see her hop off. So, they backed off.

"Are we still on tonight? I am starving," Britt asked. Sam furrowed her eyebrows together. "Don't tell me you forgot!" Sam shrugged. Andrea chuckled a bit as Britt dramatically scoffed. "Dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings! We are supposed to be getting wings! Remember?" She practically yelled. Sam sat up and pushed out of the chair, seeing Nicole and Courtney coming back into the room from the bathroom.

"I didn't forget. I'm going to pee,"

1:28 PM

Ellanie and Elora sat on their last Google meet of the day as April and Zeek stood in the kitchen making lunch. "Can we make pasta?" Zeek asked. April, looked through the pantry and sighed, shaking her head.

"Sorry, buddy, we don't have anything to make it from scratch. I'll bring some over on Tuesday and we can make it then. For now, we can make Mac and cheese," she said. April placed Zeek on her hip and danced along to the music in her head. Ellanie shut the laptop and the girls joined their babysitter in the kitchen and walkway.

"April, can we have a cookie?" Elora asked, as Malachi came out of Zeek's bedroom with his chrome book, setting it on the table.

"I guess. Are you all done, Chi?" April asked. Malachi nodded. "Would you like a cookie too, while I make lunch?" She asked. The little boy nodded and sat on the couch with his monster truck, where he left it. Malachi was a man of few words. He said almost nothing. But, when he did he was very respectful. No one was sure why he was like that, but the answer was currently across the sea.

To Be Continued.