New Year Same Shit

Thursday, January 1st 2026
11:09 AM

Sam sat at her parents countertop holding Ezra in her lap with Ellanie sitting next to her. Sam was helping, but more so just watching, Ellanie with her advanced reading assignment for her placement test. Right before the school went up in figurative flames, Ellanie was being considered for an accelerated program. A program that would have her skipping 2nd grade and ultimately graduating before her twin. "Did you do your DreamBox?" Sam asked, sitting Ezra on the couch watching him hold his head up.

"Mhmm. After I do my reading, can I go play with the nerds with daddy and Zeekie?" She asked. Sam nodded, pecking her son's cheek.

"Ezra, look at Ella. She's so smart, she's going to third grade next year," Sam praised. Elora had gone to the store with Gene and Aveilla, and Matt and Nick were teaching Zeek how to play with his Nerf Gun the correct way.

"Is Ezie going to daycare when you go back to the stage?" Ella asked, finishing the last of her assignment. Sam nodded her head, trying to keep Ezra's attention with her eyes.

"Yup, he's going to be with his new teacher, Mrs. Lions," she answered. She'd just gotten an email confirming Ezra's spot starting in the second week of January.

"Is he going to be learning like us?" Ella asked, shutting her computer and turning to face her mother. Sam shook her head, pulling the baby off of the counter and placing him on her shoulder.

"No. He's just being watched for now. When he gets bigger, they'll teach him things," Sam answered. "Go play. I'm going to change his diaper and I'll be right out," she said, hoping down with her daughter, but going different directions.

-

Sam sat on the floor, her happy baby kicking his legs. "Why are you excited?" Sam asked, hoping on her knees and leaning over her baby. She pecked his cheeks a few times, before sitting up with an uncomfortable sigh. Her side was killing her. "Let's go take some meds," Sam said, picking her son up and going to find the prescribed Percocet in her purse.

11:37 AM

Sam came outside and sat on the deck furniture watching her kids play with their father and uncle. Sam laid her son on her left side trying to avoid the pain on her right. Ezra laid fast asleep on Sam's chest in a onesie and a thick blanket. The snow had melted, but it was too cold to be outside without a jacket. "Mommy, look!" Zeek yelled before shooting and watching Matt catch it before it launched over the fence.

"Wow, buddy! That's so cool!" She faked, knowing she didn't even see it. The drugs were starting to kick in. "I'm going inside, the baby is sleeping! You guys have fun!" Sam called, getting up and going to lay down while her son. She liked that they took her pain away, but she hated always being tired after it.

1:07 PM

A light knock on the door, with no response, had Gene enter her sisters old bedroom quietly. She came in to see her sister and nephew fast asleep. "Sam," she whispered. Nothing. Gene slammed the door waking her sister, but not the baby. Sam woke up with a start and rubbed her eyes sitting up. "Oh good, you're up," she said, taking a seat on the edge of the bed.

"What?" Sam grumbled, sitting up and pulling her hair into a ponytail.

"We need to talk. I have you your time to get yourself situated at home. But what the fuck is on your side?" Sam rolled her eyes, lying back, and pulling Ezra closer to the middle of the bed next to her.

"No we don't. It's nothing,"

"Nothing bruised over something that almost got you killed. Are you really gonna downplay this?" Gene fought. Sam nodded, rubbing her sons back, pecking his soft little cheek.