Twelve

12.

《Stiles》

      At lunch, Scott still needed some sort of assurance about the bus attack. "But dreams aren't memories."

      "Then it wasn't a dream." Scott said, setting his tray down at the table we occupied everyday for nearly two years. "Okay, something happened last night, and I can't remember what."

      "What makes you so sure that Derek even has all the answers?" I asked, Scott still not over his plan to go to Derek for help.

      "Because," Scott sounded desperate, "during the full moon he wasn't changed. He was in total control, while I was running around in the middle of the night attacking some totally innocent guy."

      "You don't know that." I defended after looking up from a text from Addi telling me to go away.

      "I don't not know it." Scott countered quickly, "I can't go out with Allison." He said after sighing just barely. "I have to cancel."

      "No, you're not cancelling, okay?" I told him, "You can't just cancel your entire life. We'll figure it out."

      Lydia, in all her strawberry blonde glory, set down her tray next to Scott. "Figure what out?" She asked, sitting down as if it wasn't the very first time she'd ever done it.

      I made a noise, looking to Scott for help.

      Why was she sitting with us?

      The designated table for Lydia's clique - which lovingly included my sister - was across the room.

      "Uh," Scott was searching for a plausible lie. "just, uh, homework."

      "Yeah." I added, helping him. I leaned in when Lydia looked away. "Why is she sitting with us?"

       Scott didn't have time to answer, needing to move his bag for Allison. 

      "Thanks." Allison grinned, sitting down next to him.

      Tamara looked at me for half a second as I laughed awkwardly. She was never much of a talker.

      I turned to Danny, who only looked highly uncomfortable as I nodded to him.

      Jackson came last, "Get up." He ordered, wanting the end seat between his girlfriend and bestfriend.

      Tony nervously looked to the ruler of the sophomore class. "How come you never ask Danny to get up?"

      Danny nonchalantly held a green apple in his hand. "Because I don't stare at his girlfriend's coin slot."

      Lydia smiled at Danny while Tony scattered so he didn't get the wrath of Whittemore.

      "So, I hear they're saying it's some type of animal attack." Danny brought up the bus. "Probably a cougar."

      "I heard mountain lion." Jackson said, lounged back in his chair.

      "A cougar is a mountain lion." Lydia snapped, pausing, "Isn't it?"

      "Who cares?" Jackson was easily the heartless one. "The guy's probably a homeless tweaker who's gonna die anyway."

      My phone dinged before Jackson could finish, Addison sending me a video link.

You didn't hear it from me -Ads

      "Actually," I pulled up the video from the news. "I just found out who it is." I angled my cell for the table to see after pushing the volume. "Check it out."