Nine

9.

Addison

      "Ready?" Officer Michael stood crouched, his glock aimed at the door of the Hale House.

      They found the body buried on the property, which meant we were arresting Derek.

      I flicked off the safety and got the nod from Dad, who was just behind us. I lifted my leg, swiftly kicking open the front door.

     Dad motioned with two fingers, sending Michael to the second floor, me to the third floor and himself to the ground floor. 

     "This is the Beacon County Sheriff's Department. Come out with your hands up." Dad called his voice growing quiet as I reached the top level.

      I crossed the landing, my gun raised to the level of my collarbones. I glanced into each of the room, still marked by the fire six years ago.

      Pushing open the door to what used to be Derek's, a tall figure in a gray tshirt was staring out the window.

      "It's funny. Coming to arrest your babysitter." Derek rested his hands on the outer frame of the window, bruting.

      "If that's the kind of thing you find funny." I said, "Then I guess."

      "I never saw you as a police force kind of person." Derek said, slowly turning around. 

      "The last time you saw me I was ten. I still wanted to be a princess." I didn't lower my weapon, but I also didn't pull out the handcuffs in my belt. "I need you to come with me, Derek. Not coming outside in the first place was stupid enough."

      "Are you going to shoot me, Addison?" Derek asked with a haunting tone. "Win an irony award for it?"

      "Derek, you've been charged with murder. This is serious. There's a body on your property."

      "You don't think I did it, do you?" Derek narrowed his eyes at me.

      "I think that if you run, it won't matter if you really did it or not." I replied, able to hear Dad yell 'clear' followed by Michael doing the same. "Come with me, Derek. If you're innocent, let the evidence prove it." I reached for my handcuffs. "Make this easier for the both of us."

      Derek held out an arm, taking a step towards me.

      I put my gun into the hostler, grabbing his arm and going behind him. Cuffing his hands behind his back, I guided him out of the room. Once we reached the stairs, I called out, "I've got him!"

      Officer Michael took him from me once we reached the second floor. We walked down the next flight, meeting Dad at the bottom.

     "Take him to my car." Dad ordered Michael before looking to me. "Nice job."

     "Thanks." I watched as Officer Michael took Derek to the car labelled 'Sheriff'.

     Scott was leaning on the front of Stiles' jeep, getting a glare from the accused murderer before getting stuffed into the patrol car.

      Dad went over to Tara, turned away from the car.

      Michael sealed Derek into the backseat and walked off, leaving me standing just by the congregation of Sheriff and his main deputy.

      Everyone was here. The land around the charred house was being picked apart by gloved investigators. The coroner and his men had hauled off the top half of the girl's body.