Chapter 21

Shredflash stared into the distance. The grey-furred tom didn't want to do what he had to next. But if it'll end the clans, he'll do it. Let's begin, Shredflash! Shred echoed in his head. "I don't want to..." He whispered. "I don't want to..." The tom looked to his left to see his son, Deaddream, curled up next to him. I'm glad I got to him in time... He was closer to starving to death than I was when I was an apprentice... Shredflash thought, then looked at his mate.

Come on, Shredflash. Shred echoed.

The grey-furred tom nudged Deaddream. "Deaddream," he meowed.

"Huh...?" Deaddream replied. opening his eyes and yawning.

"Have you met any other cat out while exploring?" Shredflash asked.

The silver and grey-furred tom nodded. "Yeah! My friend, Jack!"

Shredflash froze up. His eyes widened as he heard Jack's name. I told you, Shredflash! Shred said. Shredflash then stood up and stretched, then looked at his son again. "I would like to meet them. Could you bring them here?" he asked.

Deaddream's eyes widened. "Really?!"

Shredflash nodded.

Deaddream's smile widened as he ran out of the den, limping as he then disappeared out of Shredflash's sight. Shredflash frowned as he watched his son disappear past the trees.

*

I can't believe Shredflash wants to meet Jack! Deaddream thought as he ran past the trees and bushes. The tom ran until he saw something jump out of a bush at him out of the corner of his eye. Huh? He thought and sprinted past them, quickly dodging their pounce. Deaddream whipped around to see an orange-furred cat. "Jack!" he exclaimed.

"Heh... I almost got you, Deaddream!" Jack replied, smiling at his friend.

Deaddream smirked. "You won't get me next time, either!"

"We'll see about that!" He then padded up to Jack. "Want to go somewhere?" he asked.

Jack tilted his head. "Where?"

"To meet Shredflash!" Deaddream mewed.

Jack's eyes widened, "Shredflash...? Doesn't he hurt you...?"

Deaddream shook his head. "Not anymore! He was just training me!"

"Really?" Jack meowed.

Deaddream nodded. "Shredflash wants to meet you!"

The orange-furred tom stared at his friend for a few heartbeats. "Me...?"

Deaddream nodded again. "He won't hurt you, I promise!"

"You promise he won't hurt me or you?" Jack asked.

"I promise!" Deaddream mewed.

Jack sighed, then smiled. "Okay, let's go!"

Deaddream nodded, then ran past Jack towards the way he came from. "Come on!" he yelled back.

Jack then ran after his friend.

*

Shredflash lied next to Aurora, licking her cheek and nuzzling her every few heartbeats. The tom knew what would come next. He just had to wait for Deaddream and Jack to return. Are you ready, Shredflash? Shred echoed.

No.

Shredflash froze up as he heard pawsteps outside of the den. He rose on his paws. The sad look on his face worsened. A few heartbeats later, Shredflash saw his son run into the den with an orange-furred tom. They both skidded to a halt in front of the grey-furred tom. "Shredflash!" Deaddream mewed.