Chapter 29

I'm going to do it. I have to if I want to find out what's wrong. Nova thought as she padded from the Vertexclan Elders' den and over to the Medicine den.

She's hiding something from me... And I don't like it at all!

Nova padded across the camp, looking around to see her clanmates either lying somewhere, or padding around like her. The medicine cat sighed as she headed over to the den. I just hope it isn't bad... She thought as she soon entered the medicine den. Nova saw as Marigoldfur lied in her nest, sleeping peacefully. The black-furred she-cat went over to the sleeping Marigoldfur and prodded her with her paw. "Marigoldfur, please wake up."

"Huh...?" Marigoldfur replied as she yawned, looking up at Nova now.

"What are you and Rainpad hiding from me?" Nova asked.

Marigoldfur's eyes widened. She rose on her paws. "Wh-What?"

"Marigoldfur, I don't have time for this... Please, tell me!" Nova meowed.

"I can't... You'll get mad at me!" Marigoldfur replied.

Nova sighed. "I won't get mad. You can tell me anything, we're clanmates after all!"

"I can't!" Marigoldfur shouted.

Okay, she's hiding something. Nova thought.

"I'm s-sorry for yelling..." Marigoldfur's mew shook.

"It's fine. Just please... Tell me what's wrong. I promise I won't be mad," the black-furred she-cat replied.

The golden-furred she-cat nodded.

"Well?" Nova said.

"Rainpad and I are mates..." Marigoldfur mewed.

Nova stared at the medicine cat for a few heartbeats before sighing. "Okay, that's not that bad... I thought it would be something worse-"

"Ridgewish is our kit..." Marigoldfur added.

Nova's eyes widened. "What?!"

The golden-furred she-cat nodded, looking at the ground in shame.

The white fur... The blue eyes... "How did you hide it well from me?"

"Remember when I'd go to the Ocean Side a lot? And you said I looked like I gained weight?" Marigoldfur asked.

Nova nodded. I didn't think she had a kit in her belly! She thought.

Marigoldfur stared at the ground.

"So Emberfoot and Lightningblaze knew?" Nova mewed.

The golden-furred she-cat nodded. "Rainpad, Emberfoot, Lightningblaze and I left camp... Then Ridgewish was born by the Ocean Side..."

"That explains why I had to go on out to the Ocean Side that day..." Nova mumbled to herself.

Marigoldfur looked at Nova once more with a frown on her face.

Well... Nova thought.

"As your punishment for breaking the medicine cat code... You and Rainpad will have to tell Ridgewish the truth." Nova meowed.

Marigoldfur's eyes widened. "I don't know if I can... He'll get upset... And he'll hate me forever!"

"That's not my problem, Marigoldfur." Nova meowed.

The golden-furred she-cat sighed.

"But don't worry! I'm sure everything will be fine!" Nova added.

"I hope you're right, Nova..." Marigoldfur replied, heaving another sigh.

I hope I am too! Nova thought.

"Well, go get your mate and kit. I'm sure you three have some meowing to do!" the black-furred she-cat added.

Marigoldfur nodded and slowly padded out of the medicine den.

Nova sighed.

What am I going to do with you?

*

Shredflash and Deaddream soon padded off of the sand and back onto the grass. It was only a few heartbeats later they made it to the bottom of a steep hill. Deaddream saw his father look up at the hill. "Up there is Vertexclan," Shredflash meowed.

"Let's go make them pay!" Deaddream's claws unsheathed.

"Hold on, Deaddream," Shredflash replied.

The silver and grey-furred tom looked at his father. "Huh?"

"We'll wait for the sun to lower before we attack." Shredflash mewed.

Deaddream sighed, sheathing his claws. "Fine."

Shredflash looked back up at the place he used to call his home.

I've returned. He thought.