Chapter 33

Inside of the Vertexclan Leaders' den, Skystar sat in his nest. His tail lashed as he kept a worried look on his face. Maybe I should go to the Ocean Side soon. That'll clear my mind. He thought as he stretched in his nest.

"Skystar."

Skystar looked at the entrance to see Crownight. "Yes, Crownight?"

"Shredflash was here."

Skystar got up and padded out of the den. "What do you mean he was here?!"

Crownight followed behind. "Check the Elders' den."

The Vertexclan leader ran across camp and over to the elders' den. I can't lose anymore clanmates to Shredflash... He thought as he entered the den. Skystar then stopped in his tracks. His eyes widened at the sight of four blood stained cats lying on their sides. "No..." Skystar whispered and padded over to the limp body of a bright-ginger tabby she-cat. Tears fell down from his eyes and onto her body.

"Smokedream..." the leader whispered.

Skystar turned his head as he heard pawsteps. He saw a golden-furred she-cat standing next to Crownight. "Marigoldfur." he started. "Were they alive when you found them...?"

The medicine cat shook her head. "It was too late for me to do anything..."

Skystar clawed at the ground. "Crownight, go find Lionstrike. Now," he ordered.

"Yes, Skystar." Crownight turned around and ran out of the den.

I'll kill Shredflash! Skystar thought.

I'll kill him!

*

"Lionstrike.... Sunsting... Wake up!" a voice echoed in Lionstrike's ears.

I don't want to get up yet. Lionstrike thought.

"Too bad!"

Lionstrike then felt a paw hit his nose. His eyes shot open, and he hopped up to face an eyeless tom. "Shred."

"Hi!" Shred replied, then padded over to Sunsting and prodded her nose.

"Huh..? Lionstrike, is that you?" she asked as she opened her eyes.

Lionstrike watched as Sunsting hopped up and back away from Shred. "S-Shred..." her mew shook.

"Yep! The one and only!" he replied with a smile.

"What do you want from us?" Lionstrike asked the black-furred tom.

"I want you two to kill Skystar! And then you can take over Vertexclan, Lionstrike!" Shred giggled.

Sunsting's eyes widened, and Lionstrike sighed.

"We won't do that, Shred." Lionstrike replied.

"What?" Shred's smile faded.

"You heard me."

Sunsting stared at Lionstrike in surprise.

"B-But don't you want Ripplewave back? You'll get her back, Lionstrike! She'll be your mate again!" Shred meowed.

"It'd be lovely to have her as my mate again, but I've realized something... Being with Ripplewave won't make me as happy as I think it would." he looked at Sunsting, then looked back at Shred. "There are other cats that can make me happy." he meowed.

Sunsting's fur felt hot after her clanmate said that.

Shred now kept a look of anger on his face as he stared at Sunsting. "You want to be the best warrior, right?"

Sunsting shook her head. "No! I don't want to be the best warrior... I just want to live my life!"

Shred hissed. "You both don't know what you're doing! You'll get killed by Shredflash and Deaddream!"

"If they come anywhere near us, I'll kill them myself." Lionstrike replied, unsheathing his claws.

"You're both useless! Get out!" Shred's voice echoed in both of their ears.

Lionstrike and Sunsting blacked out.

*

Sunsting and Lionstrike woke up next to each other in the same nest. The two Vertexclan cats looked at each other. "Are you okay?" Lionstrike asked.

The ginger-furred she-cat nodded. "Are you?"

"Yeah."

Sunsting then touched muzzles with Lionstrike. "Good."

Lionstrike and Sunsting then turned their heads to the entrance of the Vertexclan Warriors' den as they heard pawsteps running in. It was a white-furred she-cat with black patches, Crownight. "Lionstrike. Skystar needs you in the Elders' den."

Lionstrike stood up and nodded. Then Crownight ran out of the den.

The cream and fawn-furred tom licked Sunsting's cheek. "I'll speak with you later." he meowed, then ran out of the warriors' den.

I feel closer to Lionstrike than I've ever been... Sunsting thought, her pelt feeling hot now.

I want to be mates with him...

*

Two toms ran from the Vertexclan territory and headed onto the sand of the Ocean Side. Where are you going, Shredflash? We're not done with Vertexclan! Shred echoed in Shredflash's head.

Driftclan. Shredflash replied.

Fine... But make it quick! Shred said.

"Where are we going now, Shredflash?" the tom running next to him asked.

"We're going to the other clan, Deaddream. Driftclan," Shredflash replied.

Deaddream smirked. "More rotten clan cats to end!"

Shredflash and Deaddream ran through the warm sand as they headed to Driftclan.

I'm close to avenging you, Dustshine. Shredflash thought.

I'm almost done.