Fourteen

Vote, Comment, Excuse any errors, follow: melaninispower

Enjoy

"I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome and mouth spasms from all the signing and smiling I've been doing today," I said, stretching and hearing my back crack

The Ax and Dagger convention was in full swing. All around us thousands of rabid fans from all over the world had flocked to see the stars of their favorite shows, books and comics. Many had even dressed up as their favorite characters, which was eerily flattering. I'd seen about a dozen Browns and Wallace's already.

The three of us were sitting at our Ladies of Justice table, where we'd been for over three hours. I'd spent a painful afternoon sandwiched between Noah and Beyonce; the former flirting with anything in a skirt, and the latter making shady comments to me to amuse herself. Last year's, convention hadn't been so agonizing.

I should have realized that my comment was a crude joke waiting to happen, particularly to someone like Beyonce, who was just too quick with her comebacks.

"I thought you would be used to that sort of thing by now. Doesn't it come with your lifestyle?" she said. She didn't look at me, she was too busy sending a text or something.

I gave her a frosty look, even though I had walked right into that one. "You'll never let up, will you?" What was her obsession with "my lifestyle"? It was as if we couldn't go one encounter without her bringing it up.

"Tormenting you? Nope. It's too much fun."

"Maybe you should find another hobby."

She opened her mouth to respond, no doubt with something nasty, but a camera crew was approaching us. With it came a reporter, a brunette with a nice smile. A face definitely made for TV. I was familiar with her face, having seen her at a couple of awards ceremonies in the past, though I didn't know her name.

She smiled blindingly when she reached our table, her eyes lingering on me. "Hi, I'm Rihanna Fenty with E-Scoop Online TV." She shoved her hand at me first, then at Beyonce, who watched her warily. "Do you guys mind sparing a couple of minutes to talk to us about the show, and about Wallace and Brown?"

The question may have been to both of us, but she only looked at me when she spoke.

"Sure," I said, smiling back. We'd been doing interviews all day for the bigger media outlets; they all asked the same questions, and our answers were always the same. "Is here good?"

"It's perfect. You look great there." I didn't miss the wink she gave me.

My gaydar was bleeping like crazy. Was she "family"?

The camera started rolling.

"I'm here at the Ax and Dagger convention with actresses Onika Maraj and Beyonce Knowles, who play the leads Wallace and Brown on the hit cop dramedy Ladies of Justice. So, ladies, last season we saw the usually stable Wallace lose it and start drinking after she shot a kid by mistake. Are we going to see her problem deteriorate in season three, and will she confide in her best friend, Brown?"