Out In The Open

Like a vulture that caught it's prey Raj ji just eyed at his sister and the boy standing next to her.  He rushed out of the auto, paid the driver, eased me out of the vehicle and thudded his way towards them. Lost in a deep conversation, Rekha and Sushant did not seem to notice Raj ji.

This is going to be a huge disaster!

"You!", He said, loud and clear pointing at the both of them.

They were taken by shock and then fear immediately befriended them.

"Bhai- please", Rekha tried to protest. 

But Raj ji knew no mercy to her plea. He went straight at Sushant and glared at him.

"Sir ji...", He shivered.

"What are you doing with my sister?", Raj ji bellowed.

"Bhai-", Rekha pleaded.

"You, take your Bhabhi and ho back home."

I couldn't see my husband turning into a beast on the road. I know I was pregnant, but I took the risk of a little fast walk to reach him. Breathlessly, I tapped on his shoulder.

"Raj ji... This is our house's problem, let's take go home and address. Let's not make an issue here. Please Raj ji..."

Rekha's continuous requests and my words, brought a change in heart for my husband.

"Yes, let Ma also know about what has been happening...", He grunted under his breath.

Sushant and Rekha timidly followed Raj ji. I trailed behind them whispering all prayers that I could remember and make earnestly.

The crowd did get its entertainment, but that was not something that I could bother about now, I was racking my head to save, infact everyone, because this really did not paint a bright and happy picture.

The stomping sound did make Ma ji come out of the house as she saw a fuming Raj ji holding Sushant by his arm, and a teary Rekha and a tensed me.

My heart was in my mouth.

"What is happening here?",asked Ma ji in a thick commanding voice.

Raj ji looked at Rekha and said, "Ma, ask your daughter... She will have all the answers!"

Not liking the way her mind connected the dots Ma ji looked at me.

"Bahu, you tell me, what is happening here? Why is the whole street staring at our home?"

"Ma-", squealed Rekha.

"You are not allowed to talk, do you get it?", commanded Ma ji.

More tears pooled down her eyes.

"Ok so if no one's going to talk, I will", said Raj ji.

"Ma these two kids are-"

"Are FRIENDS, Ma ji", I cut my husband in between.

"Kya?", Asked Ma ji surprised and Raj ji shocked.

"Ma ji, entrance exams are coming right, so this is Sushant, who studies in Rekha's class. Both of them are toppers and actually, Rekha had a small doubt in one of the subjects. Sushant was just too kind and being a gentleman to not make Rekha travel during the evening and so he came over Ma ji. Usually, the shop would be open and I would also be there with Rekha, but since I had to go for my evening walk, I think Sushant and Rekha stopped at the Chat Shop, just waiting for me to come back.

But you know Raj ji, no Ma ji, he just loves to assume things-", I tried to chucle it all away trying to blow off some steam.

Ma ji and Raj ji tried to absorb every word I told.

After a thoughtful amount of silence, Ma ji questioned Rekha,

"Is this true?"

She shakily nodded in agreement.

"Oh Raj, is this what I have taught you, just scold at your younger sister and her friend, like this, that too in public?

You have a pregnant wife and imagine what would have happened if your anger was not tolerable for her.

See, Bahu knew about this boy and why can't you just ask her once? Girls after a certain age will not share everything with Ma or Bhai, and thank God we have our Bahu as a sister for her.

Apologize to that boy, immediately!"

Sushant was still having his heart beating so fast.

"Nahi nahi, Aunty ji. It was my mistake. Bhai's reaction is absolutely correct. I should have been more thoughtful. Kindly forgive me for all the troubles and pain caused."

Everyone's hearts melted listening to the boy's earnest plea.

Ma ji smiled and then suggested him to join us for a cup of coffee.

As I slowly tried to take steps towards my room, Rekha ran towards me and thanked me.

I told her that this one time was a crazy save and I am yet to deal with her angry Hulk of a brother and calm him down. But now, since Ma ji also knew about the boy, she can call him home more and prove her love to the family.

Rekha caught every hint I gave and smiled at me. Well, today was supposed to go in a totally different way! It was supposed to be a discussion about how to move forward in mine and Raj Ji's life. But that's the thing about Indian brides, they have a whole lot of other things to save and do. Honestly I have no idea how my husband is going to react to me personally for saving his sister and a boy who is totally in love with her, but shouldn't he of all men understand that love makes you do crazy things?

This is going to be my argument and my little sister in law does deserve a magical life for herself. If I have to support and be a shield for it all, I will do it with all my heart!

This is after all, the story of a typical Indian bride, isn't it?

❤️❤️❤️