Envelopes

Every second seeped into ultimate slowness as Raj ji's results lay in my hands. My fingers were trembling and my palms were sweaty. But can you blame me for feeling this? Our lives were to be determined with what were printed on the letters.

It's not just Raj ji and me, now! Dev's here.

Nervousness slithered more intensely as I cautiously pulled out the white paper which neatly folded and placed inside the envelope. I opened it carefully.

NAME: Rajeev Shukla

My eyes hazed through a blurry vision. I blinked and blinked to record the result in my brain.

I did read it right, right?

Tears welled in my eyes as all I could think of was the amount of hardships and hardwork that my husband had to put for a life determining sheet of paper.

I turned to note his reaction. He looked pretty famished as well. Speechlessness intensified the suspense. I swallowed hard.

The only sound that echoed through the living room was my 1 month year old son cooing with childlike innocence.

Ignoring Ma ji and Rekha's presence, Raj ji just pulled me closely and kissed my cheek. He was shaking and his serious lips elegantly flaunted a developing smile.

The smile then turned into a full throated laughter, as Ma ji, who was as shocked as me at her son's PDA, but chose to take the implication of the gesture.

The elephant in the room was addressed.

"Bhabhi, congratulations!", chirped Rekha.

I didn't know what to say. I blushed and bashfully batted my eyelids at my husband. Words seemed to fail me. Emotions tried to conquer me. My heartbeat was so high that I might risk experiencing arrhythmia. I silently sniffled through it all.

"Congratulations Bahu!", Ma ji wished me in a proud voice. Contentment was slowly replacing the aura of suspense as Raj ji constantly gleamed, as he ruffled through his shoulder length hair!

My man, whispered my soul, as all it knew was absolute love for him and nothing else.

My eyes went back to white paper that I was holding. It was my turn to break the silence. I looked at my husband.

I knew that it had to be me. I cleared my throat consciously. I gazed at his deep and pure eyes; they just didn't know anything about malice or jealousy. All he could emit was love.

Ok, this is it!

"Raj ji?"

"Yes Pavi, what is it? It's okay even if the message is not favouring us. I can always write another exam. You'll be studying and so, I'd take this as an opportunity to stay with Dev. I'm real proud of you, you know! So, don't ever regret breaking the news to me-"

"Ji?"

I interrupted his big speech.

"May I speak now?"

He looked at me and nodded.

"I know you had to go through a lot before attempting this exam. You had to take care of me, drop and pick me up from the tution centre. Also, you never missed a single appointment and always accompanied Ma ji and me.

You've been nothing but extraordinarily supportive to me. In between all of this, you managed to attend your classes and work in the shop as well.

So, it's totally acceptable and I am so proud that my man is capable of handling so many things."

I knew Ma ji and Rekha were listening, but this is my husband I am addressing, so he deserved to be pampered, at least, at the moment.

Dev let out a small whine that he was not getting any attention from his parents. Somehow, the blanket on which he was laying down caught his attention and well, we were no more important to him!

"Pavi, where are you going with all of this?"

"But-", I spoke a bit louder now.

"It never ever gave you the permission or excuse to the stunt that you pulled the other day with your bike. The day I became a mother, I worried for my son's father than my own self!

You drive like a blind guy and sometimes, drunk even. I thought I had forgiven you for it, but this results, just reminded me that I could have lost you, you intelligent, handsome fool!"

My mother in law chuckled and I was frankly surprised. But now was not the time to ponder around that. I had to get this out of my heart.

My husband was baffled! Here he was so happy with my results and had also made up his mind that even if it didn't work out for him, he's very contended with his life, but, he's got a wife who loves him dearly!

"What?", I snapped at him.

"No-noth-nothing, Pavi, it's been a month and I thought-you-"

"Oh, well I thought so too!", I exclaimed at him.

He was just out of reactions to bring out.

"Bahu, I understand how you are feeling, calm down dear."

I turned to look at my mother in law. She signalled me to take a deep breath in and breathe out.

"Bhabhi, is everything okay?"

I now shifted my glance at Rekha. She too looked as clueless as ever. They were all surprised at my outbreak. I've never done it before but I really had to get it all off me. I can't even for a millisecond think of losing my husband. I need him, I function because of him, I am here today, this close to becoming a doctor because of him, can't this man see all of that?

The silence was too much for Raj ji to take in. He tried to reach out to my arm. I swatted him away and let back a strong glare.

"Pavi, sorry!", he apologized, in front of his mother, sister and his son. I know I went a bit overboard but, that day was the scariest day of my life.

"Thank you", I said authoritatively.

"And oh, you've cleared your exams too. Congratulations baby!"

❤️❤️❤️