P2: Time Apart- 3

Two weeks without Raj ji felt like forever. I have never kept anything from my husband for this long, and neither have I ever felt this much of anxiety and separation.

But I really couldn't afford to express my true feelings with him. He would then give up on his most important dream of his life just for me. I know he would do that. I am his strength and his weakness.

So whatever it takes, I'd do it.

If I have to support him over the phone, I shall do it.

If I had to romance over the phone to calm him down and make him feel less distant from home, I shall do it.

If I have to listen to him day in and day out, I shall do it.

And most importantly, if I had to keep one of the biggest things from him, then I shall really really do it.

Dev did notice the absence of his father and it did make him uncomfortable. Of course, being an adult, I couldn't handle the separation, how could my two year old son can?

"Mama- "

Dev tried to grab my attention.

His cute little childish speech felt like music to my aching heart.

"Yes dear-"

"Mama- Baba phone... Baba phone"

I realised that he wanted to talk to his father over the phone.

"Dev beta, Baba is in the interview, we cannot call him now. Why don't you go and play with Rekha Bhua?"

He made his face as if he's going to cry.

"Arey arey arey, my dear darling-"

I should not be lifting Dev now, but he did leave me with no choice. I slowly lifted him from the floor and carried him. I tried to divert his mind by taking him to the balcony and showing all kinds of birds and trees. He really enjoyed the two dogs playing around in the lawn and started laughing.

"Mama, do-dog", he clapped his hands.

"Ha ha, yes dear."

All of a sudden, I heard the door open. It was none other than Rekha.

"Bhabhi, why are you carrying Dev? You should have just called me right?"

"Oh Rekha, it's nothing-"

"Bhabhi, it's not nothing-"

"Okay, my dear Rekha, take your nephew!"

"Yes, I'll be more than happy to-", she smiled.

"Let's go to the hall, shall we?"

"Yes Bhabhi, it's also been a while since we spoke alone-"

"I know, right?"

As we walked to our hall, Dev was playfully pulling his Bhua's hair and laughing.

My naughty son!

We engulfed ourselves in a serious chitchat related to her college and love life. Though we were in constant touch, speaking about them in utmost detail brought a great joy.

Perks of girl talk!

Dev then constantly tried to grab his Bhua's attention by playing with her earrings and her chain. We laughed at his desperate need of the spotlight and let him do his own thing. Looking at Dev suddenly just reminded me of something.

"I miss your brother, Rekha", I confessed.

"Oh Bhabhi!", she empathized.

"Yeah-", I sighed.

"Did he call you today?"

"No, I think he is busy with the interview process."

"I really wish Bhai cracks this-"

"Yeah, if this is the best thing for him-"

"Hmm-"

"Bhabhi-?"

"Yeah-"

"You sure you don't want to share with anyone else at home?"

"No Rekha-"

"Would you have not told me if I had not bumped into you-"

Damn, that was a tough question.

"Honestly, maybe, maybe not, Rekha. But the truth is, I at least have someone to talk about it if I need-"

Rekha smiled, with a relief.

"Bhabhi, are you scared?", she asked with hesitation.

I looked nervously at her. I really didn't have the time or energy to even think about it.

"I don't know-", I whispered as I looked down.

"Bhabhi, I am always there with you, regardless of anything-"

"I know-", I smiled.

My phone rang and the call was from my husband.

I swiftly lifted the call and answered.

"Hello?"

"Raj ji-?"

"Rekha, I got the job-"

"Raj ji, we are pregnant-", I blurted.

***