The Talk?

A/N:

Super excited to announce the tenth chapter of the book. I hope you are enjoying it!

*************

My husband was sitting at the edge of the bed and was tallying this week's revenue from the shop, as I entered the room, post dinner. My mother in law's words still boomed in repeat mode, as I consciously took eat step into the room. Like a typical Indian married woman, who had to break this news to her husband, I had a glass of warm milk in my hand as the natural sense of blush embarked on my cheeks.

The jingling of my bangles and toe-rings were however the ones that caught his attention. He looked and smiled at me. His gentle smile always calmed me down. One of the perks of arranged marriage is that the mystery of revealing a certain part of yours to your better half always finds its own charm.

The fact of wanting to be a mother always resides in a woman and she finds it a pathway to ensure that the world becomes a better place with her moulding of her child. The very thought made me reciprocate to my husband's beautiful smile.

I gave the milk and just stood there, coyly staring at him, drinking his every move. A smile crawled on my lips and my husband noticed it.

He pulled me to the bed and looked at me and raised his eyebrows with a smile to ask me what made me smile. I just felt too shy in front of him. I mean, the news that I was to break to him, brought up all sorts of these feelings within me.

"Kya hua Pavi?"

Words weren't formed in my mind for my mouth to even lip sync them. I just sat rooted at my spot, as if it was the Cartesian coordinate with 5 dimensions, O(0,0,0,0,0).

And turned deeper red.

And felt more shy.

And now came embarassment.

"Pavi, you are a teacher now, shouldn't you be explaining what's in your little head with words rather than silence?"

I gathered courage that would break through my embarassment and share this news to my husband.

"Ji, woh- woh-"

"Woh-woh, kya? Uske aage bhi kuch kaho na?"

"Ji, ahem, woh, hame, it's been 8 months since we got married..."

"Ha Pavi, I still remember that day, so vividly, I am so lucky to have you in my life-"

He broke through mid-sentence and raised his right hand to fix my hair behind my ear. His palm slowly and gently cupped my left cheek.

I inhaled sharply at his very first touch today and everything just evaporated from my head for a moment. I just wanted this vibe to wrap us as warmly as possible and well-

My mother in law's words suddenly boomed in my head!

I startled and shuddered all of a sudden as my shocked husband just stared at me wondering if everything was okay!

"Pavi-"

"Ji, even before we, you know... ", I wanted to choose my words so carefully that it led to an awkward silence.

This worried my husband so deeply that I could feel that through the emotions comprehended by his eyes.

"Pavi, sab teek hai na? You are happy right? Did Ma say something to you?"

"Ji, ha, sab teek hai. Woh, I mean, as you know it's been 8 months since our wedding-"

"Pavi, now you are just beating around the bush, please tell me what's in your mind?"

Ok, it's time to break the pot!

"Ji, woh, actually, Ma has requested us to think about having children."

I just bluntly uttered those words. I really didn't know how else to put it to him. And after telling it, I just felt a wave of fear surrounding my heart from all possible corners. This led to my eyes brimming with tears as a result of my unexplainable emotional rush.

My husband carefully wiped my tears with no expression on his face. 

"Pavi, don't you want to have a child with me?", he barely whispered.

The degree of shock was beyond my explanation for I didn't know what made him even think of such a thing!

"Ji!", I exclaimed.

I then held both of his hands and said,

" I was never sure of this marriage. This is the truth and I told this to you openly on our first night. But, in the months that followed, you have made this life desirable and yet sticking to my individuality and yearning  keeping my dreams alive. You are not just my husband, but my best friend, my parents and you are my first child.

The first time I had sex with you, made me realise that I desire you not just in a physical level, but emotionally, intellectually and it may sound like a fairy tale, but you have made me believe in the concept of soulmates.

I love you.

There I said it, for the first time in these 8 months, and to bear your child would be my honour. It will make me want to be even more independent and strong and shine with all my womanhood. Well-"

Even before I could finish the rest of my speech I felt his lips finding mine with passion engulfing every inch of space that my face could  profoundly expose to him.

Breathlessly breaking from the kiss, he looked at me and asked,

"Are you sure about this?"

I smiled and nodded.

Just then an idea struck my head. 

"Ji?"

"Ha Pavi."

"I have something in my mind, I really don't know whether you'll like it or not-"

"Pavi, don't start beating around the bush again, please!"

"Ma ji wants us to go on a honeymoon trip. So what if we actually wait until that day, for you know-?"

"Pavi, are you serious?"

Well he seemed more shocked to this piece of information than what I broke previously.

Men!!

I nodded and then tightly hugged him to inhale his strong scent.

"Pavi, with you so close to me, it's really difficult for me to-"

I chuckled at his throated comment and kissed his exposed neck.

"Well then, let's follow that from tomorrow!", he winked as we, well you know, yes!

*********