Stroll

After having a blissful darshan at the temple, we prayed for the success of our new journey and decision  that my husband and my family had taken. It was all on me now and this is my first chance to really prove my original talent. I want to make the best out of it.

Raj ji and me walked arm in arm in the park quite isolated from our place.  We left the house a bit early to enjoy our alone time.

Being from a typical family, such moments do not run by us that often and in these six months, this would probably be the 4th or 5th time we have come out like this.

As suggested by Raj ji, I wore the yellow saree. He had gifted that to me on our first night and even though, I wasn't that open minded about this wedding then, over time, I understood his good natured heart; or still trying to.

He likes it when I wear my saree a bit low waisted and with matching bangles and earrings. He is a very conventional man and beauty in its natural accord attracts him. But if you are living alone, you might go around, unnoticed by others, but here, it doesn't work that way.

I wanted to look attractive to my man and hence, dressed accordingly.  I tied my saree quite below my navel and draped it in an unexposed and elegant manner; or at least, according to me. I combed my hair and just put a clip for now, you know, you still need to go undercover until you leave the house.

I placed the sindoor on my forehead and applied kajal to my eyes. From my jewellery box, I chose to wear the dozen set of yellow bangles and of course adorned the set with a matching yellow Jhumka.

Smearing a light red lipstick, not to less not too more, I can't be stopped and questioned by my mother in law for dressing up for my husband, I tried to keep it all, minimal.

I looked at myself and felt pleased. I just gave a quick glance at my waist. Well, with my husband, I do not feel that conscious but I need to go outside right and the girl in me, still didn't feel quite comfortable with the dress up. I immediately took a shawl and wrapped it around. Perfect!

As the evening breeze kindled the romance, the blushing sky elevated the mood.

"Kithna achaa mausam hai na, Pavi...", he said.

I smiled and nodded.

He turned to look at me, and said, " I wanted to see you in the saree, not wrapped in a shawl like an old lady..."

I blushed, because now I knew he would definitely notice that I had dressed up for him.

He slowly helped me take away the shawl and well his mouth fell.

He noticed the earrings the bangles, the lipstick and everything else and just smiled.

I slowly and very slowly raised my arm to take off the clip from my hair. He loves a free hair and just sindoor on the forehead and well, I can bet that the very sight today seemed like a treat for him.

"Pavi...", he breathed. "I am one lucky man!"

"Ji aap bhi na-"

"You do know how to keep your man happy-"

"Ji!!", I squeaked as I buried my face on his chest.

"You are so lucky that we are in a park-", he whispered and slowly cupped my head.

Thank goodness this park is not visited by a lot of people!

I was released from his firm grip as we once again intertwined our fingers and walked like the present day lovers.

"How much do you do for me Pavi?

I know Ma always snaps at you and Babaji keeps ordering you. Rekha uses half of your clothes and yet you are so patient with them.

You understand me, you keep me happy and most importantly you complete me.

You threw away your dreams just because of fate and yet look at me, I am selfishly happy to have you by my side.

I cannot just immediately go take admissions in a Medical School for you Pavi...

Well it's not that convenient with the way our family is being brought up...

This tution centre is a start and it's the least I can do for you, are you happy with it?"

"Ji, aap bhi na...

It's what a wife does for her husband.

I understand our family and the efforts that you are putting towards keeping it all together. I don't want you feel troubled with my constant pestering and-"

"Pavi-"

He just stopped me.

"Don't ever say that you are pestering me."

I just fell silent. The cool breeze just hit us and well I was feeling chilly.

My husband fixed my hair and wrapped the shawl around me.

As we strolled around the park he suddenly stopped and he left my arm.

He was glaring at a particular sight and he didn't look pleasant.

He was fuming.

A sudden fear crawled in my heart.

That's the thing about arranged marriage, the first wave of every emotion, love, sadness or anger, hits you first.

I gathered some courage to ask him what happened.

He didn't say anything but continued glaring.

I turned towards the direction of his gaze and saw a familiar pink kurthi.

I just wished this was a nightmare.

What was painted in front of me didn't seem good.

It was definitely Rekha with a boy, on the other side of the park sitting together and holding hands!

She looked so engrossed in the conversation that she didn't even give a look at who had been watching her all the while.

As my husband took his steps  towards his sister, an unpleasant  feeling enveloped around me...

"Ji, let's talk to her at home, not here. People may watch ji..."

But he paid no heed to my words. He literally stormed and as he was approaching her, I called her name.

"Rekha-"

That's the point she actually turned and saw. She looked famished!

She now knew what would definitely happen.

***