P2: Reliving the Past

"We have three daughters, Shukla ji. We'll definitely give the dowry and pay Pavithra a very good send off. But after that, the Shukla house will be her home. For no reason, I mean, for no reason, should she be relying on us after her wedding."

"This is your condition?", Ma ji asked my mother.

"Yes."

"Are you sure?"

Without giving even a second's thought, my mother nodded.

"Then I also have a few conditions", told Ma ji, in her usual commanding voice.

"My son Rajeev is capable of taking care of his wife. He doesn't have to live in the dowry given by his in-laws. So yes, we do not want even a single gram of gold or a single rupee from you in the name of dowry.

And I shall ensure you that my house's daughter in law will not step into your house for any ritual, function or even her pregnancy."

I woke up in the middle of the night, startled as if I had witnessed the whole situation that happened just before my Kanyadaan ceremony. I was sweating profusely inspite of the AC being switched on. The encounter of the past in my dream certainly turned out to be a nightmare to me and as I tried to sit up, I found myself shaking.

"Is everything okay?", asked Raj ji in a hazy voice.

"Ha-"

"OMG Pavi, you are sweating profusely! What happened?", asked Raj ji now, trying to sit up.

"Nothing, I just had a dream!"

"Dream? About what?"

"Well, about what happened just before my Kanyadaan."

"Oh, Pavi!", he whispered, slowly pulling me towards him by yanking his protective arm around me.

On his touch and caress, I tried to calm myself down.

Slowly, silent tears befriended me. 

The moments of marriage are the most memorable for a woman. But, however for me they were just more than memories. My husband knew the turmoil that I experienced as he fondled me gently. 

"Pavi, do you want to talk about it?" 

I thought not to, but something within me felt that I'd feel much better if I shared what I felt. 

"Ji-"

"Ha Pavi-", he whispered as he tenderly kissed my forehead. 

More comfort pooled within me. 

"Ji, as you know, on the day of our wedding, I felt everything was done. My parents literally disowned me, just because I was a girl and pulled a stunt by saying that they were ready to pay you off as much as you want, but I must never turn up to them for anything. Also, I had great dreams of becoming a doctor. At that moment, you were still a stranger to me, but my parents and my dream were the only things that I was familiar with. I felt like an orphan Raj ji." 

I bawled on his shoulder like an uneasy baby. 

He patiently rocked me to calm me down. As I tried to catch for my breath, new chain of words spilled from my lips. 

" My parents never wanted me in their lives, Raj ji. I mean, how could they do that? I am a mother now and I could never do that to Dev. Then why did they do it to me Raj ji?" 

"Shh-my baby, calm down. You are here, with me, and you know that I love you right? I will not let anyone to hurt you." 

"Raj ji-" 

"Baby, you should not be crying like this. You'll catch a cold and you'll fall sick. You've got exams next week." 

He was right. I should not be hovering my thoughts over a closed chapter. 

"Pavi, may I say something?" 

"Ji, yes please-" 

" Pavi, honestly it hurt me deeply that your parents took such a rash decision. When I married you, I realised I needed to be more responsible than ever. You had just left everything and come with me. I had to earn your trust and through that process, I just didn't get to know my wife, I made a best friend, met my soulmate and this relationship has given us a beautiful son. 

I have no idea why your mother wants to reach out to you now, after all these days. We've had many milestones achieved in the past, you started a tuition centre, we were pregnant, Dev's birth, you cracked the medical entrance, our first anniversary, and so on.  

But neither Ma nor me will ever let her or your father hurt you again. We made this promise even before knowing you and now, we swear to live up to it. You are a Shukla now and the mistress of my heart and soul Pavi, please do not worry. 

Like how Ma explained during dinner, just ignore the incident. I know its hard and seemingly unfair. After all, it is your mother and you are entitled to feel the way you are feeling. But worrying or thinking about it will affect your mental health and inturn you'll become weak physically. We have greatness ahead of us Pavi, and I am going to hold your hand walk by your side, every step of the way. 

You've made the man who I am today Pavi and I am extremely grateful for that. Please drop your worries and lets go back to sleep." 

I was indeed moved by my husband's soothing words. I slowly crawled to meet his softest lips and he ensured to deepen it. When both of us felt breathless, we broke from the kiss. He then pecked my teary face, as if to wipe my tears away and once again gently brushed his lips against mine. 

He is my heaven!

Raj ji slowly laid down on the bed, while I placed my head over his chest, listening to his heavy-pounding heart. That did work out to be my lullaby as I peacefully found my night's sleep. 

***  

A/N:

I'm facing a bit of a trouble in seeing the whole story, to unpublished to publish it again.

I hope you are able to check it out!

Stay safe! ❤️