P2: Slipping Into

I didn't even wait for my husband to finish delivering his good news, I didn't congratulate him on achieving his milestone, I didn't even listen to his words completely; all I wanted to do was just share the truth with my husband.

Yes, I was 3 weeks pregnant and while I was reading the result of the pregnancy test, Rekha ran into me. I made her promise not to tell anyone since I had to be the one who should tell my husband.

I don't know how he would react, how am I going to keep up with the academics and business, take care of Dev, take care of myself, the financial aspects and our lives from here.

I tried my level best to not open that door until I share the news with my husband and now, it's the moment of truth.

"What did you just say?", he barely whispered.

"Raj ji, you heard me right, we are three weeks pregnant."

"Oh-!"

"Raj ji, how-"

"Pavi, let's talk about it when I come back."

"Raj ji?"

"Yes Pavi?"

"Congratulations!"

"Pavi, thank you so much baby!"

"Raj ji, I am so sorry-"

"For what?"

"For keeping this from you-"

"Pavi, let's talk about it when I am back."

"Okay."

"Do Ma and Baba know about it?"

"No, just Rekha-"

"Oh!"

"She's right here, do you want to alk to her?"

"Yes-"

I handed over the phone to my sister in law. She looked at me for a second before talking to her brother.

"Bhai, double congratulations!"

I couldn't listen to what Raj ji had to say, but the siblings seemed to have a comfortable conversation. I looked at my little Dev, who is going to be an elder brother. I also turned and looked at my medical books and kit lying on my study table.

It is definitely hard being a married woman. There is family and career and it takes a lot to strike a balance between the two. To every woman who does that, I bow my head down to them!

After hanging up the phone, Rekha said, "Bhai will be here by night Bhabhi."

"Oh, that's nice."

"Bhabhi, shall I take Dev to Ma and Baba?"

"Yes Rekha, sure."

I saw her walk away with my son.

Afternoon slipped into evening and evening into night. With every passing minute, I felt so nervous to meet my husband. I was excited, anxious, scared, happy and confused. I needed him but most importantly I needed to know what this pregnancy meant to him.

Amidst all these conquered thoughts, the bell rang. I nervously walked to open the door.

There stood my man, even through all the tiredness because of the travel, he was even more handsome than ever. His hair was messed up adding to his sexiness and his beard was as perfect as ever. His eyes were drinking me while his lips just reached out to mine.

"Mmm- ", he mumbled through the kiss as he warmly wrapped his arms around me.

I felt overwhelmed and through the kiss tears just pricked my eyes.

Breaking from what we were doing, a sense of shock was noticed on my husband's face.

"Pavi what happened?"

"I don't know Raj ji-

We are pregnant.

I don't know-", I sniffed through the words.

He then pulled me closer and kissed my forehead and eyes.

"Congratulations to us-", he whispered in my ears.

I then fell on his chest and hugged him tightly and wailed like a baby. I didn't know why but it felt like the right thing to do. My husband is here. My saviour is here. My man is here. My love is here. He will take care of everything. I am not alone.

He just let me stay as much as I wanted and slowly patted my back. When I felt I was done crying I eased myself from his hug and looked deeply into his eyes.

"Congratulations baby!"

"Thank you", he whispered.

He knew that I was congratulating him for the job and then just gently kissed my forehead, eyes, earlobes, cheeks, nose and then passionately on my lips. He then let a trail of kisses on my neck and as he reached the hem of my dress he withdrew and said,

"You are my heaven, do you understand?"

I smiled at him and realised how much I rely on him.

All was well.

***