To Put Forth

After an amazing night, the sun shined bright through the curtains of our room, in the most refreshing way. I woke up, as a hazy vision captured my beautiful man already awake, laying next to me and watching me sleep.

"Hey baby!", He said.

"Morning yourself, husband."

He gently kissed me and then wriggled out of the bed.

Both of us freshened up and headed out for breakfast. Rekha looked chirpier than ever and Ma ji was one her toes. Mouth watering dishes awaited us.

As the paratha and paneer curry was served onto our plates with a glass of muskmelon juice, I happily chewed through every tasty bite.

Ma ji watched in content. She always believed that a pregnant lady should have a good appetite.

"How are you feeling Bahu?"

"Good Ma ji, can I help you out with something?"

"No no Bahu, strictly no!"

"Ma ji-"

"Bahu, you are my daughter in law and will listen to what I say, okay? Besides, I did see the lights on for quite a long time yesterday night."

Raj ji choked and I just stared.

"You were alright na, Bahu? And  Raj, you please drink the juice, beta."

My husband and me realised that Ma ji is pulling our leg and we tried our level best not to openly get humiliated. She controlled her laughter so much to not give away her grim nature. This was the first time my mother in law has ever cracked a joke.

I know, it's very embarrassing, especially when it is about your sex life. But still, this awkwardly counts!

Rekha tried to maintain a straight face and Babaji also stared at his food.

God, please do something!

Raj ji just swatted my arm and asked me to focus on eating. I stared at him and he made a funny face that made all of us laugh while dining.

I have never seen my family this happy and I wish that this would last forever.

Once we were done eating, Babaji offered me a plate of  fruits. I was so full that I actually couldn't take another bite, but Ma ji and Raj ji took turns to feed me.

Next, I saw Rekha holding my prescription and my tablets in one hand, and a glass of water in the other.

"Ma-", I tried to protest.

But, my protest has no value here.

I felt so high on such amazing food, care and love. I gently leaned onto my husband's shoulder, with such boldness and no awkwardness and Ma ji also just rubbed my shoulder in acknowledgement.

"Are you doing okay?", Raj ji asked me.

"Yes, just a little tired, I feel like sleeping Raj ji. "

"Ma, shall I take her to the room?"

"Raj beta, why are you asking me? Bahu needs to sleep and you should understand that. Be sensible from now on, okay?"

God, Ma ji was on fire and both of us just couldn't take more awkwardness, and so we decided to head back to the room.

Raj ji closed all the curtain drapes and switched on the fan. He laid me down on the bed and tucked me comfortably.

I pulled him towards me and kissed his cheek. Surprised with my romantic gesture, he kissed me on my lips, but quickly withdrew himself knowing that well, we have been teased enough.

Hmmm...

I think I am actually drifting into sleepiness. I could feel my husband kissing just above my navel to share his love towards our baby and cuddle back up with me.

My eyes twitched to the beam of sunlight that surpassed the dark curtains of our room. I wandered my hand around my side to find it empty.

How long have I been sleeping?

My usually noisy and eventful home was jinxed with a blanket of silence. My throat felt dry and I let out a small cough.

Rekha sprinted into my room.

"Bhabhi, you are awake. Thank God. Here have a glass of water."

She poured me a cool glass of clear water from the jug placed on the nearby table and then waited until I felt comfortable.

"Is everything okay?", I asked her.

"Bhabhi, Bhai and Ma had a conversation after you went to sleep. Bhai was like you wanted to pursue your dream of becoming a doctor and now since you are at bed rest, this would be the best time to utilise for the preparation.

He also said that this is what would make you happy and you are also ready to start the tuition centre again to help the family with the finances.

He said what your gynecologist told and how she appreciated the idea-"

I stopped her in between. I know the script and now my heart thumped too fast to believe that Raj ji actually put forth our thoughts to Ma.

"What is Ma's reaction Rekha?", I asked in a hazy voice.

"Ma just sat there listening to Bhai. She didn't speak one word.
This is so unusual of Ma, considering that she always reacts so quickly with words and  we'd know how to go about it in the next step. But Ma is totally silent.

I think Bhai is worried Bhabhi, he sat with Ma for a long time waiting for her to respond. But she didn't. She just continued with the household chores. Today she didn't even let me help her out.

Honestly, I think it's bad Bhabhi."

I sighed.

I mean what can I say? Raj ji tried his level best and I am not any stranger to Ma's harsh words. If it really means so much to Ma ji that I should stay a house wife and run a family, I think I have made peace with that idea as well.

My thoughts were interrupted with Rekha's words.

"But Bhabhi, I know how you think. You'll do anything to keep this family happy, even give away your dreams. But remember what you told me a while ago?

If it's worth fighting for, you should and you have my complete support Bhabhi. I think Dr. Pavitra Rajeev Shukla would bring fame to this house."

Tears befriended me as my sister in law's sweet words touched my heart. She wiped them up for me and smiled.

"After all, we are sisters right?", she winked.

💫💫💫