The Unfaithful Sister

Lucy Rose could hear Crystal breathe in shakily and slide in through the tiny gap. She was sure her sister hadn't realised that she heard half of the conversation. But Lucy Rose didn't want to be a pain in the neck and ask her sister now. She knew full well that Crystal was an empathetic person. Ask her something at the wrong time, and she would break down in tears. Both of them weren't any different, Lucy Rose thought; they just had the other way of dealing with their broken self. Lucy Rose didn't bother to let anyone see her cry while Crystal used her tears to scare off the people who were hurting her. No one liked Crystal's crying. Her face would crumple like an infant while Lucy Rose was quite a nice crier-She'd always wiggle her nose and cover her eyes with both hands.

Lucy Rose sighed quietly and went back to sleep.

But she couldn't, not because of her mother but because her annoying sister was snoring loudly.

LR decided to step out onto the balcony, and once again, her friend was already there.

Timothy was standing still, staring into the beautiful night sky.

LR had realised that both of them seemed very similar. They appreciated the little thing people took for granted.

"Should I tell her ?" Timothy asked himself softly.

Tell who what? Crystal thought, confused, still standing at the entrance.

Timothy started speaking a bit louder now, which startled Lucy Rose.

But like a pillar, she remained in the same place.

"Lucy...I know you probably don't like me back, but I like you, and I hope you are willing to consider me...no..no, that sounds weird.", Timothy rehearsed. LR held her breath now. It felt disrespectful of her to listen in, but she wanted to hear it so badly even if she knew she'd reject him.

"How much did you hear?" he asked, facing her, his face turning beet red.

"Erm...er...I was just getting some fresh air", she said, gesturing at the wind, which made her look stupid.

"I like you?" he whispered, unsure whether to say it out loud or not.

"No, you don't," she said, hoping he'd stop speaking, but he didn't.

"LR, I like you, and I am not expecting you to like me back, but please don't just say no", he said, hurt.

"Reject me, I don't care but don't just close it off with no.", he ended.

Lucy Rose searched his eyes. Looking for a sign that she should reject him, but she found none. But LR had to. If she loved her family, she had to; if LR liked him, she had to. It was just the right thing to do.

She swallowed her sympathy and looked him in the eyes coldly.

"No.", she said coldly.

He looked at her with annoyance in his eyes and just walked past.

Crystal exhaled and let her shoulders slump.

She could feel her nose sting, and soon she started welling up.

The next day, the atmosphere was so uncomfortable.

Her sister was giving her sorry looks, and Timothy was giving her an apologetic smile while Jeremiah just shrugged at all of them.

A new day, a new issue.