AAO Part 5

(I do not own the images to these stories.)

*****************************************

Minuet was angry at Xander for the way he had talked to her. How dare he chastise her in front of everyone at the ball! And what did she do that was so wrong? She was being nice to the little common gutter trash. She even told Selena, or whatever the hell her name is, how cute she was. It was generous of Xander to slap some window dressing on the pathetic charity case, and Minuet was simply complimenting him.

Yet for some reason he got angry, and accused her of being rude. Maybe she did put the little insect in her place, but sometimes that was necessary. Minuet could see the way that the little mousy girl was eyeing Xander. Sometimes people need to be reminded of their places in society. You can dress up a swamp rat all you like, but in the end it will still be a swamp rat.

But Minuet began to wonder if he saw more in his little pet project then just an opportunity for publicity. Maybe he was actually attracted to the girl. Why would he prefer the little mouse over her? After all, she had made the list of the fifty most beautiful people in the world. He should be grateful for what he had, for Xander always demanded the best.

Minuet wondered where Xander even was. He had spent a lot of the evening glaring at some bartender that seemed to be flirting with the mousy little girl. Not only that, but Xander had followed the bartender into the bathroom. What was he even doing in there? They had been in there for a long time.

She had been lost in her thoughts for a while, when she heard a husky voice whisper in her ear, "I think it's time to go." As she turned around she could see Xander staring back at her.

"Fuck you!" She said through angry gritted teeth. "I flew all the way from New York to be with you tonight. And you spend the entire evening flirting with some pathetic little girl, and stalking a bartender that is kind enough to show some interest in her. What is your problem? Why would you be interested in a little girl, when you can have a real woman on your arm?"

"I am not having this discussion here, Minuet." Xander whispered. "Serena is my protégé, nothing more. I don't want to see her getting taken advantage of by a well known lothario. It's late, and I'm tired. We need to go."

"I'll go when I'm damn good and ready!" She exclaimed. "You invited me to come along on this business trip, in fact you practically begged me! You said that I could expect to hear wedding bells soon, but all you have done was babysit some little girl! Well Mr. Papadonis, I have better things to do than watch you leer over some, some charity waif. I am leaving the party all right. Then tomorrow I am flying back to New York, without you!"

Minuet sneered at him, as she blew past the ungrateful bastard. What a fool she was, how could she have wasted a whole year on that man? True, he was rich, and good looking. But with her fame, and her looks, he was a dime a dozen in her world. There were thousands of wealthy men all over the world, who would love to have her for a trophy wife.

Minuet stormed out of the ballroom, as she kept mumbling to herself about what a loser Xander Papadonis actually was. But as she continued to walk, she couldn't fight the eerie feeling that she was being watched. She decided to stay alert, and kept her eyes and ears open as she headed towards the valet parking station. All she wanted to do was get in her car, and leave.

As she continued to walk, she could hear footsteps behind her. Minuet's heart began to race, as she knew she was being followed. Was it Xander coming to apologize, or worse, a dangerously obsessed fan? Either way, she did not want to deal with it, and started to walk faster. But the faster she walked, the faster the foot steps behind her seemed to pick up the pace. Minuet, stopped, and turned around. But no one was there, and she could no longer hear anyone following her.