AAO Part 21

(I do not. Own the images to these stories.)
********************************************
"I know the legend of the Minotaur!" Serena exclaimed. "What I don't know is how it is possible that you are the same person!"

"Theseus seduced both Phaedra, and Ariadne." Xander informed her. "But he chose Phaedra over Ariadne."

"Again!" Serena growled. "I already know that!  It still doesn't answer my question!"  She was growing frustrated with the history lesson. What she wanted were answers about what was going on now!

"I'll explain." Xander said. "But first you need to know what happened, and how we got to this point."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ariadne entered the heart of the maze. To her sorrow, she saw her brother sitting on the ground. He was crying, as he held a gown that had been worn by Ariana.

"Xander?" she called to him.

"Ariana!" he gleefully exclaimed. He then jumped up and turned around, he was smiling from ear to ear. But when he looked up at his sister, the smile quickly fell from his face. "Oh, it's you."

"I'm sorry if I had misled you, it was never my intention."  Ariadne told him.

"I know." He sighed, as tears soon returned to his eyes. "It's just that she was the only one to ever call me that. Why are you here Ariadne? If you came to check up on me, then you have wasted a visit. I think it would be obvious that I am not doing well at all. Minos has purposely put me in a bad situation. I must either murder fourteen innocent youths, or he will kill my beloved Ariana. And if I do kill them, then I will likely kill her love for me. Either way, I will lose her. And there will be innocent blood on my hands, but then again there has always been."

"Look, the reason I have come to see you is that I am working on a plan."  She informed him. "I'm going to get you and Ariana out of here."

"How?" he asked.

"The fourteen sacrifices arrived yesterday." She answered. "One of them is Prince Theseus of Athens."

"The prince?" he asked. "Why would the prince be one of the ones sent to me to die?"

"He has come to slay you." She explained. "But don't worry, I have talked to him. I have told him everything. He will leave the maze, with the other sacrifices. I am leaving a long red string of yarn that leads to the way out. He will tell Minos that he slaughtered you, but he has promised me that he will not harm you. I will then lead Ariana here, through the secret passages from where Minos is keeping her. Then we will meet him at the docks, and we will all sail back to Athens with him."

"Do you really expect me to believe that he will keep his word?" he asked. "I assume that there is much less love for me among the people of Athens, than the people of Crete. And if Ariana presents me as her lover, the Athenians will likely turn on her. No, I love her too much. I will not fight this Prince Theseus. Just let him kill me and return with him to Athens."

"But he gave me his word." She told him. "He has asked me to be his queen, and I have accepted. He will not deny me."

"Fine, just go and retrieve Ariana." He said. "Promise me, that no matter what happens. You will make sure that she is taken care of, promise me that you will keep your word."

"If I am to be queen of Athens." She replied. "I will make sure both of you are well taken care of."

+++++++++++++++++++++

The Minotaur waited for Theseus to arrive. Hopefully, the prince would be able to find his way around the maze. If anyone knew how to navigate the labyrinth, it was Ariadne. Besides himself, no one else spent as much time in the maze as she did.