AAO Part 10

(I do not own the images to this story.)
*******************************************
Xander sat in his bungalow, as he viewed the sun—while it was setting over the ocean. He then took out his smartphone, as he began scrolling threw his pictures. Xander came upon an image of himself, with Serena. It had been taken right before they got on his plane to fly to Greece.

His arm was around her, and they were both smiling. It was basically taken to be used as a publicity picture for the scholarship. Xander sighed as he looked into the angelic eyes that were hiding behind those glasses.

Why didn't he see it before? Who she really was, and who she had become. It was because of his own narcissistic view of himself, and the world. He thought he wanted a woman like Minuet. After all, she was considered one of the most beautiful women in the world. But while Minuet had excelled in great beauty, she lacked in depth.

It wasn't until he had slapped some window dressing on Serena. That is when Xander truly saw her for the first time. True, he did want to have her natural beauty emphasized for the ball. But when she entered that ballroom, his heart had skipped a beat. It was her, the one he had been searching for all this time.

But because of his own ego about who should be on his arm, he had to let Serena go. If he had seen it before, than he wouldn't even have brought her to Greece in the first place. Then he could have pursued her back home. But now it was too late. She could not be with him. For if she stayed with him, then the beast would come for her.

As Xander stared at the picture, a tear had escaped him. As it landed on her beautiful face, it ran down his phone screen.

"I'm sorry." He told her image, as if she could actually hear him. "I'm sorry that I had to push you away, but it was for the best. I thought that Minuet was the most beautiful woman that I had ever seen, and that you were merely a knock off. But I know now that it was the other way around."

Both Minuet, and Serena, had looked similar to his one true love. And he thought that Minuet had been the superior looking woman. Perhaps Minuet was an extremely beautiful woman who looked similar to his long lost love. But when he first saw Serena as she had arrived at the ball, he knew that he had made a terrible mistake. It was at that moment when he realized that his beloved had actually returned to him.

Broken hearted at the thought of how he had to let Serena go, to protect her—Xander started weeping profusely. It was tearing him apart inside. But he didn't have a choice. It was the only way to protect her from—him, the beast. And so as painful as it may have been, Xander loved her enough to let her go.

As he continued to look at his phone, it started to ring. Xander looked at the number, and was surprised to see that it was the airline. Why was the airline calling? Had something happened to Serena? Chills ran down Xander's spine as he could sense that something was wrong. Composing himself, Xander immediately answered his phone.

"Hello." Xander answered.

"Mr. Papadonis." The man on the other line said. "This is Air Athens calling."

"I know that." Xander snapped. "What happened, why are you calling me? What's wrong?"

"Normally we wouldn't call someone about this, but such an important man as yourself—" the airline representative began to say.

"Stop kissing my ass, and tell me what the hell happened!" Xander exclaimed in frustration.

"Miss Moralis had missed the flight back to New York." The airline representative replied.

"I don't understand!" Xander screamed through the receiver. "I told your bosses how important this passenger was! Why the hell did the plane take off with out her! Why the fuck didn't you wait for her?"