chap. ²

chapter two
( present day )

chapter two( present day )

CASSANDRA WALSH always tried to live up to her family name. To be tough and loud— but how could she live up to that when she can't even face her own demons? She's too afraid of what's in her mind to the point where she hates closing her eyes. Some say she's afraid of the dark but she's not. Cassandra is afraid of what hides inside the dark, the monsters and the ghouls that God warned the world he would create but no one ever listened.

"Aunt Cassie?" She heard a sweet voice say, bringing her out of her mind and back to earth. Cassie blinks a couple of time before looking down at the little boy who she loved as if he was her own.

"Are you okay?" Carl asked her.

"I'm fine, sweetie. Just day dreaming." Cassie told him, looking over to her twin brother. He tried to hold her hand but Cassie moved hers away. Their friendship hasn't been exactly the same since Atlanta fell. They still love and care for each other, and they joke around sometimes, but there something there that keeps them apart. Cassie ignores Shane and goes back to carving wood into little toys for the kids. Lori glanced up at the twins then back down at Carl while she cut his hair, telling him to stay still as he fusses.

"If you think this is bad, wait till you start shaving. That day comes, you'll be wishing for one of your mama's haircuts." Shane tells Carl.

"I'll believe that when I see it." Carl says.

"Oh, you sound just like Shane when we were young. We went to the military together and there, the boys had to get their heads shaved. And when I tell you that Mr. Tough guy over here cried, I ain't lying." Cassie says, making Carl laugh.

"Now, why would you tell him that? And in my defense, that man was very aggressive. He had it out for me, I tell you. Since day one, he wanted me gone." Shane says and Cassie shake her head her.

"Mm-hmm, everyone's out to get you, Shane. Or at least that's what you think." Cassie says.

"You were in the military, Aunt Cassie?" Carl questioned.

"Yes, I was— for three years." She tells him.

"That's cool, but you don't look like a military person." He says.

"That's what my mom used to say." She told him with a smile.

"Alright, I'll tell you what, Carl— you just get through this with some manly dignity-" Shane said before his sister interrupted him.

"Unlike you." Cassie mumbled, Shane slaps her shoulder and continued talking to Carl.

"And tomorrow, I'll teach you something special." Shane told him, ignoring his sister's comment.