chap. ²⁸

chapter twenty eight
( two days later )

chapter twenty eight( two days later )

CASSIE won't let you do this.”

The past two days have been calm. The group has spent it making shields and wooden floor spikes— things that can be used to slow down the attack. They've been patiently waiting for the governor to come but it was quiet. It didn't feel right, everyone was a little on edge but tried their best to just keep their minds on anything else. Cassie had been so busy these last two days, focusing on her kids. She sat down with Benny, Mooney and Faith and tried to make sure they knew what was coming. She gave them handguns and pocket knives and told them that if anything happened to her, they should stick together. The girls understood that Cassie and Benny were the only family they have now. 

Both Mooney and Faith had gotten comfortable with their surroundings. Everyone has been so kind to them, they feared losing these people. People who took care of them and didn't want anything in return. Cassie tried her best to connect with the girls more. She had gotten them better clothes, brushed their hair out of the braided pigtails they came with, Cassie even started using sign language so she wouldn't have to shout. The girls found all that so amazing. They remember being foster kids before the world ended. They remember how unkind the world was and to have someone like Cassie makes them realize, there are good people. But because of how busy Cassie has been with the kids, she hadn't noticed that Rick was plotting behind her back.

"Cassie doesn't have to know." Rick says, Daryl shakes his head. When they had come back from talking to the governor, Rick pulled Daryl and Hershel aside. He had told everyone that he wasn't taking the governor's deal to hand over Michonne because he knew Cassie wouldn't let that happen but he lied. He wants to hand her over and be done with this war, he just can't let Cassie know.

"It's the only way, we can end this. Cassie will get over it." He told them.

"I don't think she will." Hershel said.

"Cassie sees a future for her with us and if you do this, she'll never forgive you." Hershel tells him, Rick knows he's right. Michonne hadn't gotten close to anyone else but Cassie, she was loyal to her. Rick knew that if he was going to do this, it had to be quick and quiet.

"I know." He whispers.

"But we have to." He says, lowering his head. Daryl took a step back and sighed. He didn't like lying to Cassie or going behind her back. He also didn't think Rick should be making decisions without her.

"Hershel will tell Cassie to go lay down, take a break for the baby, and we'll tell Michonne we need to talk." Rick said, Daryl looked at Hershel. Hershel was feeling awful. He didn't like lying to Cassie. He saw how passionate she was about giving Michonne a chance, he saw what she saw in her. He didn't want anyone to die.