chap. ¹⁵

chapter fifteen 
( a few minutes later ) 

chapter fifteen  ( a few minutes later ) 

THE crickets were loud. It was all that they heard, nothing but the crickets. Cassie had stopped crying, Rick too. She was still laying Shane's body, wishing she could hear his heartbeat. She can't remember the last time she told him she loved him. She can't remember their last happy memory. She carefully unchained his 22 necklace and puts it in her pocket.

"Dad?" They hear someone say, Rick and Cassie look to see Carl and Benny had followed them out there. Benny walks over to Cassie and hugs her from behind. Cassie slowly lets go of Shane and lets Benny stand up her up. She hugs him and cries on his shoulder. They hear a gun click. Cassie looks over to see Carl pointing a gun at Rick. Though still a little dizzy, she and Benny walk over.

"Carl..." She says. She takes a step closer to him and he fires the gun, the bullet goes straight past Cassie. When she turned she saw Shane falling to the ground again with a bullet in his head. His skin had suddenly turned grey and his eyes were white— he had turned into a walker. But how? Shane was never bitten or scratched. Cassie stared in shock, Benny holding her back. Rick pulls Benny's arm slightly, telling him to push her back to the house. The four walked back to the farmhouse at their own pace, Cassie's dizziness slowly leaving, even though her head still hurt.

"Are you okay, Aunt Cassie?" Carl asked. He hadn't called her that in a long time.

"Yeah." She whispers, obviously lying.

"I'm sorry I shot Shane." He told her.

"It's okay, sweetie." Cassie says.

"Are guys bit too?" Benny asked.

"No." Rick tells him.

"Shane was." Carl said, Cassie looks at Rick. He looks at her with so much in his eyes but he doesn't know how to put it into words.

"But what happened?" Carl asked them.

"How did he die?" He questioned, they stopped walking. Rick looks down at Carl, trying to figure out if he should lie or tell the truth. Then they heard Benny gasp. When they looked back, they saw them— walkers, a herd of them coming their way. Cassie grabs Benny's hand and they all start running. Rick stopped them and they crouched down behind a tree.

"We need to get back to the farm, warn everyone." Benny whispers.

"We'll never make it through." Rick whispers back.

"What about the barn?" Cassie says, Rick nods and they book it towards the barn. Once they're inside, Rick locks the door but with the walkers pushing and pushing and the door starts to break. Cassie looks around for anything that could help.