chap. ²⁰

chapter twenty
( two days later )

chapter twenty( two days later )

THE group sat quietly, eating their breakfast. Cassie was laying on the floor, goofing around with the baby. The last two days have been silent. No walkers, no deaths, and no Rick. Cassie had put all her focus on the kids— Carl, Benny, Lori's baby, her baby. She had made the decision that she can't have it. No matter how much she wants to, they can't handle another baby. The cell block door opens, catching everyone's attention.

"Is everyone alright?" Rick asked as he walked in, Cassie sits up.

"Yeah, we are." Maggie said.

"What about you?" Hershel asked him.

"I cleared out the boiler room." Rick tells them.

"How many were there?" Daryl asked.

"A dozen, two dozen." Rick says.

"Eat something." Cassie said, he shook his head.

"I gotta get back, just wanted to check on Carl." He says as he walked away.

"Rick." Glenn called out, he turned to look at him.

"We can handle taking out the bodies. You don't have to." Glenn told him.

"No, I do... I do." Rick said.

"Everyone have a handgun and a knife?" He asked.

"Yeah, except for Cassie." Daryl tells him.

"I prefer my machete to a gun but I still have Shane's shotgun in my cell if I ever need it." She explains, Rick nods.

"We're low on ammo though." Daryl says.

"Maggie, Cassie and I are planning on going on a run in a bit. We found a phone book, it had some places we could hit. See if we can find some ammo or more formula for the baby." Glenn told him.

"We cleared out the generator room too. Axel's there trying to fix it in case of an emergency." He explained.

"We're gonna sweep the lower levels as well." Daryl says.

"Good, that's good." Rick whispers then walks away. Hershel calls out to him but he doesn't stop this time. Everyone went back to eating and when they were done, Cassie gave the baby to Beth.

"We'll be back soon, okay?" She tells her, Beth nods. Cassie walks up to Benny and kisses his head.

"Watch over the baby with Beth." She said.