chap. ²⁹

chapter twenty nine
( four days later )

chapter twenty nine( four days later )

DOOMSDAY. Doomsday was finally here. The day they fight, the day they may all die. They had a new plan, a plan they all agreed could really work. They didn't know if they should leave or fight, so instead they decided to do both. Send Hershel away with the kids and the rest stay, the rest ends this. They packed up everything into the cars, the prison looked like it did when they first arrived. They were all quiet, worried, scared— they felt it all. Carl was noticeably pissed, he really wanted to fight but Rick wouldn't allow him to. Benny wasn't too happy either about being sent away. This plan is for the better. It keeps them safe and guarantees they win. Cassie tried to talk them down but they remained angry. Nothing she could do but let them feel whatever they wanted. She too was feeling it all.

The night Merle died was a shocking one. That day was so beautiful until Merle took Michonne. Cassie was so angry at him, angry at Rick and Daryl for even thinking about it. But when Daryl came back and told them Merle had sacrificed himself for them,— to buy them a few more days —she felt so guilty. She had every right to hate him but knowing what he did to keep her family safe, she understood him now. She understood who he was and what he stood for even if he did awful things— in other words, he was just like Shane. All night that night, Daryl cried. Cassie held him but she couldn't make him feel better. He continued on for the sake of the group but Cassie saw through him. She saw how he would get at night when everyone was asleep.

"You know, Merle never did nothing like that his whole life." Daryl tells her, he sat on the ground as Cassie leaned on his motorcycle.

"He gave us a chance." She says, Cassie stared at her boots.

"But why?" He asked, Cassie looked over at her boyfriend.

"Because he loves you, Daryl." She told him. Cassie stands up and holds out her hand, Daryl takes it. He sits up to kneel in front of her and looks at Cassie's stomach. Hershel told them today marked three months into her pregnancy. It was going by so quickly, Cassie hadn't noticed it had been a week already. Daryl softly rubs his thumbs on her hips as he leans his head on her little bump, Cassie smiles. She runs her hands through his hair as Daryl places a gentle kiss on her bump. He stands up and looks deep into his girlfriend's eyes.

"I love you." He whispers, Cassie sighs in awe.

"And I love you, Daryl Dixon." She tells him, Daryl leans in. He kisses her lips then her cheeks, bringing her into a tight hug.

"We're ready." Michonne said, Daryl and Cassie part as she comes up to them.

"Okay." Cassie whispers, she looks up at Daryl with a small smile before walking into the prison with Michonne. Rick circled the cell block one last time as they walked in.