chap. ⁷

chapter eight 
( a couple days later )

THE GROUP WAS QUIET, that was something that had become common. They had been traveling for at least five days now, without knowing where they were going. Cassie was definitely quiet. She was grieving. She still can't believe Jacqui's gone. And Benny, he was quiet too. Rick and Shane questioned what they were gonna do with him and Cassie told them he was her responsibility, completely. They didn't bring the topic again. Dale had convinced Rick to go to Fort Bennings, so that's their destination. It's a long journey— 125 miles.

Shane thought it'd be better to not have as many cars so unfortunately for Cassie, they left behavior her jeep. Usually she would protest but right now she didn't care. Daryl finally got to ride his brother's bike and on any other day, Cassie would have rode with him but not today. They hadn't talked much since camp. And now that she is forced on Benny, Daryl thinks that maybe they won't be talking anytime soon. Cassie and Benny sat at the back of the RV, going through everyone's bags. Benny hadn't brought anything with him when they left so Cassie was trying to make him a bag with whatever she found. 

"What about this one?" Cassie asked, holding up a black T-shirt that has a random band name on it.

"Yeah, sure." Benny said.

"Here, try it on." She says, handing him the shirt. Benny stood up and took off his raggy grey sweatshirt. Cassie took it and throw it in the dirty pile. Before he put on the T-shirt, Cassie noticed a tattoo on his lower back.

"Nice tat." She said.

"Thanks, it was a birthday present— my mom got the same one." He tells her, showing it clearly. It was a cross with little doves flying around it.

"Are you religious?" Cassie asked.

"Not really, I was raised by scientists— they don't usually believe in stuff like that. But I like to think there's something out— something that explains the things we don't understand." Benny says.

"You're very smart, Benny." Cassie said.

"You heard my dad, my mom was an Einstein. I think I have to be smart to be her son." He told her. He puts on the T-shirt and looks to Cassie for approval. She stands up and tugs here and there on the shirt.

"You look cute." She told him with a smile. She pinched his cheek and made him chuckle. Benny was a darling kid, raised very well, and Cassie intended on keeping him that way.