chap. ⁶

chapter six 
( seconds later )

THE DOORS OPENED.

The group was stunned but didn't waste another second. They ran in, T-dog still carrying Cassie. The cold air of the CDC air conditioner hit Cassie's face, it was a refreshing change from the hot wind outside— it was just what she needed. Her eyes were clear though she was still dizzy. The group shouted out hellos before hearing a gun cock, startling them. A man with a gun too big for him made his way around the corner.

"Anybody infected?" He asked.

"No. Not anymore." Rick answered.

"Why are you here? What do you want?" The man asked, still pointing his gun at them.

"A chance." Rick says. The man came closer, tilting his head to get a look at Cassie.

"And her?" The man asked. Glenn stepped in front of Cassie and T-dog, blocking the man's view.

"Cut her leg on a rock." Glenn told him, the man nodded.

"You're asking an awful lot." The man told them. Cassie groaned as the pain from her leg suddenly shut up her side. Rick looked back, his worry growing.

"I know but my sister, she needs help. We all do, please." Rick tells him. The man stayed quiet for a moment. He looked at each of them— everyone looked tried and Cassie looked halfway dead.

"Okay but you all submit to a blood test, that's the price of admission." He told them and they agreed. The boys brought their things in and the man, they now know as Dr. Jenner, closed the door. T-dog had to let go of Cassie to help the boys, so she sat on the cold floor and waited to be helped again. This time Shane picked her up and carried her to the elevator where she told him she could stand. He hesitated but she didn't want to be carried around everywhere like a burden. So there the group stood, quietly in the elevator. None of them took their eyes off Jenner, and he could feel it.

"Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl asked, breaking the silence.

"There were plenty left lying around so I familiarized myself. But you look harmless enough." Jenner said, he looked down at Carl.

"Except you. I'll have to keep my eye on you." He joked, Carl smiles. Once the elevator stopped, Carol questioned if they underground. Jenner asked if she's claustrophobic and when she didn't reply, he told the group not to think about it. Cassie was claustrophobic too but the pain she was going through took over her mind and she almost forgot, almost. Rick kept questioning where everyone was, to which Jenner laughed his face.