prolo,

prologue.
( ⁵ weeks ago )

HONKING cars and tree lined streets surrounded Cassie's jeep as she gripped onto her steering wheel. She was tired and her back was killing her. She'd closed one of her biggest cases and she was left with all the paperwork. Evening was closing in and the sun hid behind grey clouds. As the traffic light turned from red to green, Cassie drove down the road only being a couple homes from her house. She hangs her left hand out of the window, letting the wind hit her scarred hand.

As she pulls into her driveway, Cassie notices a familiar cop car parked next to her garden. She grabs her belongings before getting out of her car. Rick— who was sitting in the driver's seat of the cop car —waves at Cassie and she blows him a friendly kiss before entering her house. She throws her bags and jacket on the floor before making her way towards the kitchen. She hears footsteps coming down the stairs while she grabs a bottle of water and smiles— already knowing who it is.

"Honey, you're home." She hears him say with his Georgia accent, causing her to laugh at his words. She shakes her head while turning to look at her twin brother.

"How did you get into my house? I changed my locks." She asks him. Shane holds up the emergency pair Cassie secretly gave to Rick.

"I'm never giving him anything ever again and you can tell him I said he's an idiot." Cassie says.

"I just came to get my wallet, I left it here last week. I thought I lost it for a second there." Shane tells her before bringing her into a quick hug.

"So... did you, uh... talk to Chris today?" Shane hesitantly asks. He knows it's hard for Cassie to even hear that name but she has to face her past sooner or later.

"No, not yet." She says in a low voice. She walks past him and into the dinning room.

"Cass..." Shane whispers but before he could finish, she rised a hand telling him to stop.

"I know, okay, I know. I texted him to come over later and sign the papers but he didn't reply back after reading it. I figure he might still come so please, please, be here around five and bring Rick too." She tells him. Shane nodded and patted her shoulder.

"It's funny to think that just a month ago we were sitting over here on this table like a family." Cassie says. Shane frowns his eyebrows and tilts his head to the side for a moment.

"We argued to the point where I had to pull my gun out on him." Shane say, looking at her questionably as she turns to look at him.

"Never said it was a happy family." She jokes, Shane as he shakes his head. One of the best things about Cassandra is her sense of dark humor.