chap. ⁵

chapter five
( the next morning )

CASSIE'S boots tapped on the floor as she walked into the King County's sheriff department. Her all black pencil dress hugged her body as one hand holds onto a big pile of case papers and the other holds a navy blue lunch bag. She takes a second to look around before spotting her destination. Cassie walks up to the decks and drops the file on it, startling the boys.

"My boys." She says.

"Hey, twin." Shane says, smiling at her.

"Hi, twin. Here— it's the Harris files. Now you can stop nagging me about it and here, I brought you lunch— bye-bye." Cassie quickly spoke. She turns around to leave when someone bumps into her shoulder. She looked up to see one of the most handsome faces she's ever laid her eyes on.

"I'm sorry, darling, I didn't see you." He spoke, revealing a beautiful british accent. Cassie smiled as she got lost in his blue eyes— she's always been a sucker for blue eyes.

"It's alright." She says. He flashes his perfect smile at her and walks away. Cassie turns back around to her brother and pushes his seat back to make him look at her.

"Who in God's good graces is that?" She asked. Shane looked over to match her view and rolled his eyes before looking back at her.

"That's Christopher Josephine— he's new. A transfer from somewhere in London or something like that." He explains.

"We are that desperate." Rick jokes.

"I'm not gonna lie, man, we kinda suck." Shane tells his best friend. Rick chuckles and shakes his head.

"Just can't believe the sheriff called for six new transfers. I don't think that poor man's gonna handle our country side." Rick said.

"I think he will. And I think I love him." Cassie says, earning a scoff from Shane and a laugh from Rick. Cassie stares at Chris in awe— it was love at first sight. He sat down at his desk and looked back up at her and smiled. Cassie's smile began to fade away as the lights dimmed and with a blink, she was sitting down at her dinner table. Chris sat next to her while he argued with Shane. The men screamed at each other while Cassie just sat there with tears in her eyes.

It's their six year wedding anniversary and all she wanted was to have dinner with her husband and her brother. Their voices echo in her ears until Shane slowly disappeared and it was just Chris— screaming in her face. He screamed and screamed until Cassie was a sobbing mess, trying to apologize for doing absolutely nothing. When Chris picked up the glass salad bowl from the table, Cassandra knew what was coming. It always happens so fast that she never has enough time to move when Chris throws the bowl straight at her face. She ducks down as usual, covering her face as glass falls all over her like rain. It goes silent for a few seconds then Cassie feels something wet dripping on her hands. Blood, the falling glass cut her forehead on its way down. Cassie feels hands on her shoulders. She looked up and there was Chris's perfect face, apologizing for yet another scar.