chap. ³

chapter three
( next morning )

CASSANDRA dug her knife into the dark wood as she craved a sharp point at it's tip. The sun seemed depressed while it hid behind rainy clouds. She watched the boys as they took apart Glenn's new stolen car.

"Come on, guys." Glenn said, clearly upset.

"Sorry, Glenn, but I don't think they're gonna listen." Cassie told him. Rick walked over to the two and stood next to Glenn. Cassie's been thinking about telling Rick the truth about what happened that day but she doesn't know if she should. On one hand, that would be betraying her blood brother and on the other, it's Rick. Rick has gone through so many levels of big brother-ness to always make sure she was safe and never lied to her. She wanted to do the same but to love one brother, she might have to let go of the other. And she can't lose either of them, they're all she has left.

"Look at 'em, vultures. Yeah, go on, strip it clean." Glenn said, obviously sad.

"Generators need every drop of fuel they can get, got no power without it." Dale told him.

"Thought I'd get to drive it at least a few more days." Glenn says.

"Maybe we'll get to steal another one someday." Rick told him, patting his back. Glenn's dropped his head with a look on his face that said he wanted to cry. Cassie put her stuff down and stood up and wrapped her arm around Glenn, patting his shoulder. Morales laughs at Glenn as leans his head on Cassie's shoulder like a little kid.

"Don't go crying to Mami because of a car, man." Morales told Glenn, laughing at him.

"Don't listen to him, Glenn. He just being a mean, mean man." Cassie joked, making Morales laugh.

"I just wanted a cool car." Glenn said as he walks away with a pout. Shane drives up to the camp in Cassie's jeep with a couple tanks of water, reminding everyone to boil it before using. Cassie notices Shane's gaze at Lori and Rick, making her sigh as she sits back down. Right as she begins to crave again, screams belonging to Carl and Sofia rang in the air. Cassie grabs her rifle and runs behind her brother as they all follow the screams. Lori hugged the kids as Cassie and the boys run towards the walker behind them, eating a deer.

They all point their weapons at it as they slowly surround it. The boys begin to attack the creature, hitting it over and over. Cassie ignores the walker and examines the deer. The walker had eaten most of it's neck which makes it uneatable but what she noticed more was the arrows on its lower body— arrows that she had made. Dale chopping the head off the walker brought Cassie out of her thoughts.