chap. ²⁵

chapter twenty five
( the next day )

chapter twenty five( the next day )

"WE'RE NOT LEAVING."

The night before was a mess, everyone yelled and argued until dawn. Hershel tended to Cassie and her bullet wound. He told her she was lucky, because her jeans somehow prevented the bullet from going through and it was just another graze. He begged her to take a day of rest and she agreed. Her leg would be just fine by tomorrow if she laid off it for a day.

"We can't stay here." Hershel told Rick, Cassie was sitting on the stairs with Judith.

"What if there's another sniper? A wood pallet won't stop one of those rounds." Maggie said.

"We can't even go outside." Beth says, Rick sighs.

"Rick says we're not running, so we're not running." Glenn told them.

"No, better to live like rats." Merle mocks. They had locked him in the back, not wanting him anywhere near them. Cassie was trying her hardest to ignore him.

"You got a better idea?" Rick asked him.

"Yeah, we should've slid out of here last night and lived to fight another day but we lost that window, didn't we?" Merle says.

"I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now." He tells them.

"We ain't scared of that prick." Daryl told him.

"Y'all should be. That truck through the fence thing, that's just him ringing the doorbell." He says.

"We might have some thick walls to hide behind but he's the guns and the numbers. And if he takes the high ground around this place, hell... he could just starve us out if he wanted to." Merle told them.

"Can't we lock him in another cell block?" Cassie questioned, making faces at Judith.

"No, he's got a point." Daryl says, Cassie shakes her head.

"This is all you, your started this!" Maggie shouts at Merle.

"What the difference who's fault it is? What did we do?" Benny asked.

"I said we should leave." Hershel responded.

"I don't think we should." Cassie tells him.

"Axel is dead. We can't just sit here." He told her, she sighs and Rick starts walking away from the group.

"Get back here!" Hershel yells at Rick, starling Judith. Rick stops and Cassie bounces the baby to calm her down again.

"You're slipping, Rick. We've all seen it, we understand why but now is not the time. You once said this isn't a democracy, now you have to own up to that." Hershel says, Cassie could feel her anxiety build up.