chapter 10

Jane has never told the story of how she ran away from home to anyone or how she made it big even as a student.  As the tears rolled down freely from her eyes, she used her hand to wipe them away trying to stop the tears from flowing.

"You can stop telling me the story if you don't want to."  She heard Syl saying and she smiled pretentiously.

"Please, stop pretending.  You know you're not happy telling me the story.  But, how can your own brother want to sleep with you?"  Jane stared at him without saying a word.  She has nothing to say to him since she didn't want him to know she was an orphan.

"Your sadness is making me feel guilty."  He said again but Jane smiled and said.

"It's natural to be sad remembering the way I left my mum without saying goodbye.  I will tell you how I got this house.
( FLASH BACK )

Jane woke up very early in the morning to loose her hair because the hair was beginning to have an odour it was 4:15am precisely.  She loosed the hair and woke her friend, Venues to help wash the hair.  Thereafter she towel dried the hair and sat under the ceiling fan for proper drying.  The hair got dried and she asked Venues to braid it all back.  Hardly has she finish the hair when madam Mabel came inside the store.  She was so mad at them.

"What in heaven's name are you doing in my store ?"  She yelled angrily.

"Madam, I'm so sorry, my hair is smelling and I asked Venues to help me wash and fix it."  Jane pleaded.

"This place has turn to a salon where you wash your hair and braid it, right?  Look at the two beggers I brought in to help, taking more than they can chew you're both living my house today!"  Jane fell on her knees immediately pleading, Venues joined her.

"Please ma, punish me instead, it's all my fault."  Jane pleaded.

"I can only forgive you in one condition.  You will stop making your hair."  Jane was shocked.

"Now, you will choose wether to leave the hair smelling or barb it."  Jane nodded her head in agreement with what madam Mabel said.  Madam Mabel ordered them to leave the house immediately to market and they obeyed.  Hardly have they gone outside before she called them back.

"Is it your useless mother or father that will clear this place!"  She screamed at her.

"I'm sorry ma."  Jane pleaded while going back to clear the store but before she could enter the store, she took the bucket and poured the whole dirty water on her.  It was a pity sight as all her wears got soaked including her inner wears.  Jane could not move any further as hot tears rain down her pretty cheeks.  Venues was short of words as she stared on the woman.  She quickly went inside and brought out their bags and threw them outside.  Jane fell on her knees again and begged her not to send them away.  After much pleading the woman allowed them take their bags inside.  Jane could not stop crying as she changed her clothes.  The memory brought hot tears into her eyes as the tears Cascaded down her pretty cheeks ceaselessly.

Syl used his hand and wipe the tears from her face bringing her back to reality.

"It's all in the past now.  You don't need to cry over it again."  He whispered to her.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to cry but the tears kept finding it's way to my pretty face."  She joked.

(FLASH BACK)

"Jane, I'm tired.  I'm tired of slaving for this ungrateful wrench."  Venues told her.

"I'm tired too but what are we going to do?"  Jane asked her.

"You purpose of running away from home is because you want to work, raise money and go back to school, right?  Now tell me, how can you raise money if you keep on giving all you earn everyday to that woman?"  Venues asked her.