chapter 16

As doctor told them part of his story, everybody was so calm as they listened.  And the house was as quiet as a cemetery.

He told them how he arranged with Chief's only brother to bury an empty casket in other to make his wife believe that Chief has passed away.  After the fake burial, barrister Frank told the family that Chief's last wish was to read his Will exactly one year after his death.

According to Dr Fred Chief stayed unconscious for 7month.  He said that one morning, the traditional medical woman called him and told him she has been able to extract all the poison in his body.  But there was a problem spiritually.  Chief has gone so far between the living and the death.  She has done everything she could to call him back but all to no avail.   Chief can only be brought back by laying a soul......

"What does that mean."  Dr Fred asked.

"Someone has to die for Chief to come back to life."  She said frankly.  Dr became afraid and asked her whom she suggest to pay such a price. 

"I'm ready to pay the price but Chief shall marry my only daughter when I'm gone."  Dr Fred could not believe his ears.  He was ready to do anything to save his best friend's live so he accepted her proposal.

Three days later Chief became conscious.  He was so happy and so was the woman and her only daughter.   After dinner that night, they all retired to sleep.  The next day they found the traditional medical woman stone death.  She gave up her life to save Chief.

It was then Dr Fred told Chief everything that has transpired when he was unconscious.  And why the woman laid her own life to save his.  Her only wish was for him, Chief Donald  "to marry her only daughter."  They buried the woman that same day.  Dr Fred ended his story and Chief took over.

"Today, I'm back  hail and hearty.
While my wife want me death, a stranger gave her life to save mine.  Today, I want this woman and her children to leave my house and never ever come back."  He commanded his guards to escort them to the gate.  He also forbid them from taking anything with them.  Shamelessly, his wife got up and walk outside her children following behind amidst crying.

Chief called another of his guard and whispered something in his ears and he hurried away.  There was lots of merriment as some people came in with foods and drinks.

Jane was so confused.  She didn't know whether to be happy or angry.  Chief Donald has been very kind to her since the very first day they met.  Blood they say is thicker than water.  If Chief had not found her when he did, she would never had become what she was presently.  She had gone through a lot as a child especially when her adopted parents deserted her.  She got up from her seat and quietly went outside.

"She deserved what she got as a punishment.  In short she deserve to die just as she killed my mum."  She yelled angrily at no one as hot tears of sorrow clouded her vision and slowly sliding down her cheeks soiling her makeup.  She whipped the tears away with the back of her hand as she paced up and down wishing she could disappear.  Suddenly, she noticed her phone buzzed.  Opening her handbag, she brought out her phone, it was Sylvester Magnus.

"Hello..."  She said trying to hide her pains.

"Are you okay."  He asked.

"Yes, I am."

"Sure ......."

"Please, can you come and take me out of this place I .........

"I'm right here at the gate."  She hurried outside the gate.  Sylvester  parked just slightly after the gate and was resting on his car so it was not hard for her to see him from afar.  She hurried towards him.  Sylvester left his position to go open the passengers door for her.  She went in without saying a word as Syl close the door and turn round to join her.  As soon as he entered the car and made himself comfortable he kicked the engine to a start and zoom off.