chapter 13

It was Saturday morning, 8:15am precisely.  Mr Thompson was in his living room reading through the days newspaper while his wife was in the kitchen preparing breakfast and their only daughter, Jessy was in her room arranging the clothes she would use for traveling to Igbudu community where she was posted for NYSC program.  Suddenly the bell at the gate started ringing.

"These children has started again."  Mr Thompson fumed.  "What fun do they find in playing with the door bell."  He asked angrily but to no one in particular since he was the only one in the living room.  He did not bother to check who it was but continued with his newspaper.  The bell came again but he sat still wishing if Abu had been with them he would have solve the problem as usual.

Abu was his gateman when the going were good.  Abu has worked with him for so many years.  He employed his service after the adoption of the twins.  And he was with him until recently when his business suffered bankruptcy.  He couldn't pay him and the cook that was when their services were terminated.  The sound of the bell for the third time interrupted his thoughts.  This time his wife came out of the kitchen.

"Darling, you should go and see who's at the gate."  Mrs Thompson suggested.

"You know it's the children.  They've started playing with the bell again."  He said angrily.

"How are you sure it's the children?"  The bell interrupted them again and his wife hurried out.  She opened the gate and saw her.  She was so beautiful and look the age of her daughter, Jessy.  She smiled at her.

"How are you my daughter?"  She greeted and told her she was fine. 

"Please, I came to see my friend, Jessy.  Is she at home?" 

"Yes, she is. Come in."

Mr Thompson was still engrossed with his newspaper when they came in.  She greeted him.

"She came to see our daughter.  Wait here, my child.  I will take you to her room."  She said as she hurried to the kitchen to check her food.

"Don't worry mum.  I know my way."  She called after her but Mr Thompson stopped her.

"Have you been here before?"

"Yes father.  Several occasions with Jessy."

"Okay, go.  She's in her room.

Jessy heard a slight knock on her door and hurried to open it.

"Mum, I told you that I will have breakfast with you and dad."

"I think you should see who is at the door before you start complaining.

"Who are you?"  Jessy asked.

"I am Stacy Lion."

"You shouldn't be in my room."

"Really?"

"I am going to call my parents if you don't leave here at once."

"I bet you're going to apologise when you find out who is standing before you."  She said seriously as she put her hand under her jaw and the other hand on her hair and pulled the mask that made her look so beautiful and different.

"Jane!  Wow!....... She hugged her.
"Is this really you?  I thought ....
When did you come?" 

"Our flight landed by 5am this morning.  And I took the first bus to this place."  Jane explained.

"Oh my darling sister.  Look what you've gone through to come and see me."  She hugged her so happily again.  "I missed you, I really missed you."  Jessy said.