chapter 21

It was her first day to Abaugo General Hospital.  Jane woke up very early.  She wanted to report to the hospital early since it was her first day.  By 6 o'clock she was ready.  She made her way to where she suspected to be the landlord's  apartment.  She tapped on the door.  It took a while before someone opened the door it was the landlord.  She greeted and told him why she was there.  The landlord gave an explicit direction on how to get to Abaugo General Hospital she thanked him and left.

The Adaugo General Hospital was very big. It has pharmacy, a laboratory, sophisticated diagnostic services (such as radiology and angiography), physical therapy departments, an obstetrical unit (a nursery and a delivery room.

Within one hour, Jane was able to find out and know much about the hospital.  The chief medical director was not on duty that day,  but the NYSC students (medical students was attended to accordingly.  Thereafter, they were taken to the area of their operation.  Jane was shocked to find out that she the only surgeon assigned to that hospital.  The rest of the students were sent to pharmacy.

In the evening of that same day, Jane was leaving the hospital when a pregnant woman was rushed to the  hospital.  The woman couldn't walk.  She was ushered to the operating room with a stretcher.  Rumour had it that she was  booked for operating the previous day but she refused to have the baby operated.  She believed that she would have normal delivery just like she had for other kids.  She was also afraid she might lose her life or that of her baby.  She went to a private hospital where they examined her and told her the thing she was told in Adaugo General Hospital.  The baby was big and could not be delivered naturally.  Her stubbornness not to come to General Hospital when the labour started almost cost her life and that of her unborn child.

When Jane saw the movement of the nurses and some doctors and how they're making calls.  She knew something was not right.  So she called one of the nurses to find out what was going on.  She was told a pregnant woman was in the operating room.  No doctor to operate her.  Jane demanded to see her husband.  After her discussion with Mr Patrick, the husband she decided to carry out the  cesarean operation.  She went to the operating room dressed in the medical attire during operation.  Two nurses were with her.  She did the operation single handedly.  The mother and the child were safe.  It was a bouncing baby boy.  Mr and Mrs Patrick were so happy.  Mr Patrick gave Jane an envelope containing a huge amount of money.  She rejected it.  She said it was her duty to save lives.

Jane left the hospital very late that day.  She had wanted to go to the market to buy some food stuff.  But the events of that day made her change her mind.   she decided she was going to eat from the "madam food" in the compound.  And go to the market the next day for shopping

Jane had already left the hospital when the chief surgeon arrived.  When he was told a youth corper carried out the cesarean operation, he was shocked and sore afraid.  He quickly rushed to the ward where the woman was .  The woman was awake.  She smiled as the doctor entered.

"How are you?"  The doctor asked.

"I'm fine, doctor."  She responded. He checked her BP.   It was normal.  He left the ward, still wondering how the youth corper managed to carry out a cesarean operation single handedly. he stopped, turned abruptly  to the nurse behind him.

"Listen, nurse Ije, I want to see the corper that carried out this operation.  Ask her to see me as soon as she comes tomorrow."

"Yes, sir." Answered nurse Ije. 

Jane was in the hospital earlier than the previous day.  She was surprised the way the nurses and doctors greeted her with a lot of respect.  She was some how shy as she responded with her head bow down.  Before she entered the office ment for her and other youth corpers, nurse Ije stopped her.

"Excuse me, doctor. "  She stopped.  Nurse smiled as she approached her and greeted.

"Nurse, how are you?"

"I'm fine, doctor.  Doctor Mike, the chief surgeon, was here yesterday after you've left.  He actually asked me to tell you to see him once you come to work today."

"Can you take me to his office, please."  She nodded her head as she led the way.  She pointed to the door and left.  Jane tapped at the door slightly, a voice answered from inside, asking her to come in.  She pushed the door open and entered.

"Good morning, Doctor."

"You, my God, we meet again.  How are you?"

"I am fine, Doctor.   Thank you so much for that day.  I wondered what would've happened if had not come that time."

"Nothing would have happened.  I'm sure someone else would have been there to help you. Please, sit down."  She sat down.

"So, you're a medical student?"

"Yes, I am.  Actually, I am the corper that carried out cesarean operation last night.  I am so sorry I go against the medical law.  I.......

"Hey, what are you saying.  You did that to save a life.  And it was so perfect.  Thank you."  Doctor Mike was so inquisitive to know how she got to know  much about carrying out an operation.  He believed that as a corper, she has a lot to learn.  But it seems to him that she has learnt a lot already.  Jane told him where she did her one year housemanship.  She told him how the chief surgeon has taken it upon himself to make sure herself and Sylvester Magnus became the best in that field.  She told him she did so many different operations single handedly while in Sylveon Hospital.

"You're indeed a special girl."  Doctor Mike said.  She smiled her thanks.  That was exactly what Dr Phillips of Sylveon Hospital also told her.  She accepted that in the sense that she was good in everything she ventured into. 

"How's Jay?  Is he a doctor here too,"  She asked, changing the topic.   Before he could answer, the door opened,  Jay entered.  "Talk of the devil."  He greeted them and went straight to why he was there.

"I came to remind you that in the next 45 ..........

" The Operation in the next 45 minutes,  I didn't forget.  Jay, do you remember her."  Jane turned to face him.

"You! What are you doing here?"

"I'm here for my service."

"Don't tell me you're a medical student."

"She is.  Actually, she's the youth corper that performed cesarean operation yesterday all by herself."

"You ......y

Doctor Mike got up immediately.  "It's  time."  He hurried out.  Jane followed.  Jay joined them after he locked the office door.

It was an appendix operation.  Jane has done this type of operation several times.   She believed that was the simplest operation so far.  She volunteered to carry out the appendix operation under the chief surgeon's supervision.

Doctor Mike, the chief surgeon, did not believe his eyes on the way Jane was going with the operation.  One could never believe she was a corper.  After the operation, she stitched the opening herself.

"I'm done."  She muttered.  Doctor Mike nodded his head in affirmative as she removed her hand gloves.  She then went to change her gown.