Children Fight Their Parents' War

POSSIBLE TW: Death/Suicide

 "This final duel to the death between our families' two final sons will determine the winner of the war between our Kingdoms once and for all."

   Hinata takes a deep breath, avoiding Komaeda's intense gaze. He can't even believe this; he doesn't want to kill the one he loves!

   For two years now, the two of them had been meeting in secret, hooking up and falling in love. This was the worst possible outcome. They figured they could do an arranged marriage between the two of them and everyone could be happy that way but they never imagined it would come to something as absurd as this!

   A battle to the death. . .Against a skilled, well-trained being such as Prince Komaeda Nagito. . .He was always the better fighter when they would playfight. He wasn't sure if he would even hesitate to kill him once he saw him as an enemy. 

   And even if he was able to conquer Komaeda, he wasn't sure if he would have the emotional strength to deal the final, killing blow.

   The brunet slowly draws his sword, finally looking up to meet Komaeda's gaze. The fluffy-haired boy seems to have put up an emotional mask as he raises his sword.

   Hinata swallows nervously, bracing himself as the royals call for them to begin. 

   Komaeda strikes first, quicker than a cat, nearly knocking his weapon out of his hand. Hinata curses under his breath, shooting Komaeda a pleading look. 

   Was refusing to duel even an option? They didn't exactly have a choice in this matter, did they? There was no way they could run away from this without getting caught.

   Nagito's eyes soften as he moves to attack again. 'Kill me, Hajime.' He mouths before aiming for his chest and then his face, Hinata automatically blocking. 

   Ah. . .What?

   He knew how suicidal his boyfriend to get. He was more than willing to die. . .He seemed like the kind of person who would die so that someone else, no less Hajime could live. . .Is Komaeda going easy on him?

   No-There has to be a way to get them out of this, right?

   . . .Damn it!

   And then suddenly Komaeda steps back, lowering his sword, making Hinata hesitate. What is he doing?

   "No. . .I refuse to fight! I'm not killing another innocent just to settle a score that isn't even ours!" He shouts angrily. 

   "Nagito. . ," His mother warns, "If you do not fight, then you are going to die. We won't let either of you escape this."

   He grits his teeth. 

   "If death is the only way out of this. . .I cannot destroy an innocent! I refuse to kill Prince Hinata!" He declares, "This is the only way!"

   Hinata realizes what Komaeda's about to do a second too late.

   "NAGITO!" He screams as Komaeda flips his sword around and plunges it into himself. His body shakes as a weird gurgling noise comes out of him and he falls to the floor. 

   In a flash, the brunet drops his weapon and scrambles to his side, cradling Komaeda's head in his lap.

   He smiles weakly, reaching up for Hinata's face with bloodied fingers. "I'm glad. . .We didn't have. . .to kill each other. . .Hajime. . .love you. . ."

   And then his heart goes still.

   "Nagito? NAGITO?"

   But there was no response. He'd never move, never speak again.

   He sacrificed himself to end this conflict, so that the boy he loves, Hajime, can live. So that they wouldn't have to kill each other. . .

   Hinata wishes they could have found another way quickly.