Chapter 6

Later that night, as Hermione slowly made her way out to the lake, she was struck by the thought that Malfoy had always been there, everytime she came out. She wondered if he came out there every night or if their need for peace just seemed to sync up. As she crested the hill, she stopped short. It wasn't just Malfoy sitting beside the lake. Zabini, Nott, and Parkinson all sat with him, an open bottle of fire whiskey resting before them.

"There she is." Nott called out as Hermione froze.

Malfoy watched her hesitantly, as she debated running back to the castle. No one had known she was coming out here, if they decided to do something stupid, she was sure they could overpower her. She was suddenly reminded of the fact that Malfoy and Nott were both marked and she was a muggle born and she couldn't help but feel stupid for trusting them, even slightly. Malfoy jumped to his feet as her wand slid into her hand.

"Hey." He said quickly, catching her wrist. "You said you needed a drink."

Her eyes stayed over his shoulder, on the three other Slytherins. She flinched slightly as Malfoys long fingers squeezed her wrist.

"Blaise and Pansy don't even have their wands." Malfoy said, softly. "We're not going to hurt you."

Her eyes snapped up to his at those words. Every foul thing he had ever said to her raced through her mind at that moment but the softness of his voice seemed to ease her rapid heart beat.

"We're all on parole, our wands are monitored. It'd be suicide to hurt you." Pansy scoffed behind them. "Now stop acting like the twat I assume you are."

Hermione pulled away from Malfoy and fought every instinct she had as she stowed her wand. Malfoy watched her as she fell onto the grass and grabbed the bottle, taking two long sips before sighing. He slowly sat beside her and snagged the bottle from her.

"What if someone comes out?" Hermione asked.

"We're all of age. Not much they can do." Zabini told her.

"Unless you're more worried about your friends finding you in our company then a professor." Pansy snapped.

"My friends have seen me in their company." Hermione snapped back.

"Yeah, during school hours when you have to tolerate us." Pansy said, rolling her eyes and leaning into Nott.

"Be nice, Pans." Nott muttered.

"Yeah, stop being the bitch we all assume you are." Malfoy said and Pansy leveled him with a glare.

"Want to start a fire, Granger?" Pansy asked, nodding toward the pile of wood stacked beside them. "Draco or Theo could but the aurors would probably think they're lighting the school on fire."

Malfoy snorted at that as he pulled his wand. With a few flicks a small fire burned in front of them.

"They're just watching for offensive magic. Plus you probably don't want Granger pulling her wand in front of you again, Pansy." Malfoy muttered.

"I didn't know your wands were being monitored." Hermione said softly and Malfoy turned to look at her.

"Just for anything dangerous." He said.