Part 34: Blind

The more things change, the more things stay the same, and the more things will always feel like they are out of our control. Mabel was out with Candy and Grenda, shopping for things they would need for classes when they start, while I was already working on preparing a computer meant only for classwork since I didn't want to have any access to the schematics Ford and I worked on.

" Hey Dipper, am I reading this right? "  Ford would call out as I adjusted the last few screws into the tower I was building, ensuring it was secure and not bending anything out of proportion. I put down the screwdriver and made my way over to the computer Ford is at to check what he was reading, sure enough, I was right that his schematic was the subject since I had altered a few of the plans for the power output.

" Yup, see I think if you put the converter for the power to double-cycle the energy, it will boost the output and you can lower the overall heat, less chance of it blowing up in your hands. " We chuckled before a familiar figure hovered over beside us and sure enough it was like a comedy skit now.

" Ah yes, you used something like that to power that weapon that nearly took out my hat? "

" No no, look Pointdexter always makes it obvious, I think he's honestly making a new generator for the town to run off. " Gruncle Stan would land as Bill faded from his other half and he seemed to stand all that much taller, he still slouched but it was a nice way to keep Ford and him apart.

" Yes yes Stanley, Dipper actually found a better cycling system, I get so caught up in technology as it was, and he surprises me with what we can do now. " I smile a bit and Stan slaps my back firmly, making me lurch forward somewhat but I caught myself easily enough for sure.

" That's our boy! I am sure Robert will love this when he gets back. Guys at Nasa would probably pay a fortune for these things to get around our solar system. " It was interesting but Bill seemed to be influencing Stan's speech, making him more aware of the world and even fixing some of his perceptions of the world.

" Nah, we'll make them something a little more private so their backers can't steal the schematics and sell them. Besides we are bettering the world Gruncle, not profiting. " Stan would lift his shoulders and I just smiled as he seemed amused by it all, he agreed but still it felt like he still wished for a pool of dollar bills to swim in. 

" Alright alright, Stanley we need to get you scanned to make sure Bill isn't messing with your genes, and Dipper, go on and get that new computer set up, you have classes next week and I don't want you to miss a thing. "

" Right Gruncle Ford. Take care Gruncle Stan! " I yelled back as I ran off, behind me, I could hear Bill talking, but missed what he actually would tell Ford.

" He still avoids me rather coldly. " Bill's voice speaks up as he walks next to Ford towards the examination room.

" Well you did cause him a rather traumatizing childhood, and it leads to his guilt over his mother. " A simple nod of Stan's head would show Bill was son to be thinking of that story as Ford lead them to lay onto the examination table.

" You know every time you mention that you always stare at "us" like you are expecting some confession. " Bill would adjust Stan's body to comfort as his eyes closed and Ford would begin to set the machine to begin running its tests.

" Yes well, every time I mention it, you always look guilty... more so than you have acted for the rest of what you've done. " Bill would end up having remained silent after that, almost proving Ford correct long before we knew what happened.

Once I had everything put up and the power on, I set up the drawing pad aside for the cad work I would do for class and make sure everything is going for now so I could later put on the programs. While Ford and Stan were busy, I took the chance to avoid being told to be prepared to enjoy the last few days of break, and while I wasn't about to miss anything with her, I wanted to see Wendy nonetheless.