ᴀꜱʜᴇꜱ

Sam was weird. Not in a smart way, or a funny way, just plain weird. It all started when he was five, and a couple had come to the orphanage he had lived in all his life, looking to adopt.

He had been playing with some blocks in the corner, building a small little house when he caught a glimpse of a girl that seemed to be a similar age to him, with wild fiery red hair.

She looked up from what she was doing, so he went over to talk to her. Sam had never seen her around so he assumed that she was new.

He asked her what her name was, and she told him it was Alex. For a second he could have sworn her eyes went orange but he was too young back then to know. They started to talk about what type of house they were going to build with their combined blocks, childish things.

After a bit, the new couple came over to him, one of the women coming over to crouch down next to him. "Who are you talking to, little boy?" She asked kindly, her wife crouching down next to her.

Sam smiled toothily to her and pointed to where Alex sat with a knowing look. "Alex. I met her today, we started talking about what roof we could make for this house. She wanted to make it red, but I wanted blue, so we made it green!" He rambled on as the second woman glanced where he had pointed and tilted her head with a smile.

"Dear, there isn't anyone there."

The first woman shushed her playfully and responded. "He's just a child Maria, imaginary friends are normal." She smiled again, her eyes warm. "I think he would be a perfect addition to our family. Don't you think?" The other one nodded, and they went to talk to the front desk.

Sam didn't understand. Alex was there, she was real. Why didn't they notice her? Alex smiled and leaned over to him, whispering in his ear. "It's okay, Sam. They can't see me, only you can."

She leaned back and stood up along with Sam as he walked with Maria and the other woman who he had found out was named Luna. "I'll tell you why one day."

Her hand slipped into his as they walked side by side, creating a friendship that would last many lifetimes.

"One day."

___

Hi :)