𝟙𝟚

Sam turned to Alex the second they had exited the classroom, ignoring Stiles and Scott, who were maneuvering their way over to him.

"Tell me what?"

"I haven't told you everything about what you- what we are."

Sam stepped back as his brain processed the information, his senses still slightly dulled from sleepiness. "That's why..."

"Why didn't the kanima venom work on you?"

Sam spun around as he heard Stiles' voice behind him, his gaze flickering to Alex and then back to Stiles on instinct - hoping he wouldn't catch it.

But this time, he wasn't so lucky.

"Why do your eyes keep flickering over to- to nothing!" Stiles's hands waved in the air as he paused his conversation with Scott, who was now standing beside him to talk to Sam.

"You keep lying to us; how are we going to trust you if you won't even tell us the truth!"

"I will; I promise." He replied quickly. "But right now, Derek's pack is after Lydia, and we need to come up with a plan to protect her."

Allison, who Sam hadn't noticed next to him, spoke up. "I agree. Sam hasn't done anything wrong yet, plus we all have secrets; they are his own business.

Sam sent her a grateful look as Alex looked sadly at Sam. She knew that the trust between them both would be damaged for the moment, just like it now was between Sam and the rest.

As Scott nodded his head in agreement to Allison and Stiles reluctantly did the same, the three spied a classroom and headed into it discreetly to talk.

As Sam was about to go in, he turned to Alex. "I think," He paused. "I think whatever you didn't tell me was for a reason. But, please stay safe."

He could tell Alex was getting more and more tired; he had a feeling she was going to disappear for a while again.

She had just gotten back, and it was so, so, unfair - but she was his best friend and he had to think about her too, how she was hurting.

Alex nodded before slowly leaning closer to him. "I won't be back for a bit, but I promise I'll come back. I'll tell you everything."

She leaned even closer, her arms looking like they were going to wrap around him in a hug - but as usual, they just went through.

But instead of a chilly cold feeling, it was warm, like sitting near a fire on a winter day or wear clothes just out of the dryer.

As his best friend pulled away, she spoke. "Stay safe, Sam. I mean it."

Sam nodded, trying to keep strong. A voice turned his head as he saw Scott staring at him.

"Are you coming?"

He nodded, and when he looked back at Alex, she was gone.

***

Sam walked into the classroom, his emotions at the moment just wanting to burst - the only thing giving him just the tiniest bit of comfort was that Alex had said, no promised, to come back.

"Derek's outside waiting for Lydia," Stiles spoke up.

"Waiting to kill her?" Allison questioned.

"If he thinks she's the kanima, yes. Especially after what happened at the pool."

"Derek doesn't sound like the type to show mercy." Sam agreed with Scott as he scratched the back of his neck.

It didn't feel itchy anymore, mostly weird. If Sam took the time to run his fingers over it slowly, he could feel slight divots in the skin that curved into a shape.