𝟙𝟛

Sam opened the double door, scanning the hallways before motioning to the four behind him - Stiles, Jackson, Allison, and a very bewildered Lydia - that it was all clear.

As Allison pulled the other door open for easier passage, Stiles pulled Lydia through, with Jackson right behind her.

"If we're doing a study group, why didn't we just stay in the library?"

Sam pointedly glanced at Stiles, the look telling him to answer as the boy jogged ahead to check the next hallway.

"Because we're meeting up with somebody else."

He had to keep himself busy. The stress was getting to his head, and if he couldn't get rid of it, he could at least distract himself from it.

He gave another nod to Allison, jogging back to the group. Ahead is clear, where are we going now?

"The exit is just up ahead; then we're going to Scott's house."

Sam nodded, his finger yet again going to the back of his neck as he started to scratch it, trying to ignore the slight shaking of his hands.

"Why don't they just meet us in the library?"

"Oh, well, that would have been a great idea. Too late," Stiles replied, continuing to steer her around the people in the hall.

Sam quietly huffed at their closeness, forcing his gaze forward.

"Okay, hold on," Lydia slowed down, fed up with the others brushing her questions off.

"Lydia, shut up and walk."

Sam watched as Jackson took Lydia and steered, or, more like, dragged her forward.

"He should not treat her like that. I hate that dude." Sam said, glaring so hard he thought his gaze would lazer through the boy's body.

"Maybe once you tell us what you are, you can beat him up or something," Stiles grumbled, trying to laugh after the words to play it off as a joke - although it didn't work.

Sam sighed, sleepiness and sadness overcoming him as the words hit him.

By that point, they had reached the parking lot were heading to Stiles' jeep.

Allison gave him a look as Stiles unlocked it, and Sam sighed, tapping on the boy's shoulder.

"Hey, can we talk?"

"What? Like now? Like, running from Derek's pack and trying to save Lydia, now?"

Sam nodded his head. "It will only take a minute, please."

Stiles sighed before closing the door and stepping back outside, Allison giving him a small smile before getting in the back of the jeep and closing the door.

They stood in silence for a few seconds before he decided to speak.

"I'm sorry - for keeping things from you. I was trying to protect the... person involved."

Stiles kept standing there, not speaking, so he decided to continue.

"I don't know what I am - if anything. Maybe I'm just immune if I knew I would tell you. But I have other secrets that I can't share right now - I'm really sorry."

Before he could continue apologizing, there were arms around him, and Stiles was hugging him.

Sam hesitated before wrapping his arms around Stiles until they were locked in a fierce embrace.

"It's okay; it's okay. I'm sorry I was mad at you; I thought you didn't trust me."

Sam didn't know what to say to that, so he just hugged Stiles tighter. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, they pulled apart, Sam only now realizing Stiles' hands were still on the back of his neck, and they were only inches apart.