𝟘𝟡

Sam walked down the hall lazily, chatting with Alex as his eyes periodically scanned the grounds for his new friends.

Finding only other students, he sighed and stopped at his locker so he could collect his books for the day.

As he reached in, somebody breathing quite heavily barreled down the hallway - accidentally bumping into him. Alex laughed in amusement as he turned around, seeing a boy with a buzzcut running at top speed, almost falling as he skidded around the corner.

"Hey, Stiles, wait!"

He took off after the boy, Alex rolling her eyes before following.

When they turned the corner, both could see a very tired-out Stiles slumped against the locker, talking to Scott.

Sam jogged towards the boys, slowing down as he reached them. "Hey, what's going on?"

"The bestiality, we think Gerard has it, " Scott replied.

Sam's face morphed into a confused expression, Alex nodding her head as she realized what Scott meant.

"I think it's pronounced bestiary - I saw something in a textbook about it ages back. What is it? And why do we need it?"

"See! I did pronounce it right," Stiles exclaimed, giving Scott a triumphant look before turning back to Sam.

"It's like an old book that contains information about supernatural creatures. It might have stuff on that lizard creature, and Allison said she might have seen it with Gerard."

Sam nodded slowly, trying to process the new information. "So, how are we going to get it?"

"We have a plan, but you don't need to do anything if you don't want to," Scott answered, their eyes meeting.

Sam knew his answer as soon as the words left Scott's mouth, but he took a moment to pause and think about it anyway.

He wanted to help them; after all, he was their friend - and one of the few people at the school who knew about the supernatural.

Also, he had been jumping at the slightest noise all day - scared that Derek was coming to find him, and take him away, but he would be more protected with a literal werewolf by his side - also meaning that Alex wouldn't have to jump in to defend him again.

Plus, he felt safe with the boys. He felt safe with Stiles. But that's what friends did - make each other feel safe.

"I'm in."

"Great," Stiles responded, breaking out into a grin. "I'll debrief you on the way to English."

***

Sam shivered from the cool late-night air as he wrapped his coat tighter around himself. Alex sat next to him, looking warm and content, wearing a comfy blue sweater. Lucky ghost.

He was early to the lacrosse game, his parents insisting on dropping him off on their way to the hospital for a late-night shift so that he wouldn't have to walk like usual.

His mother's always tried their hardest to adjust their work hours to around the same time, so when they weren't working, both of them could spend time with him.

Although, they had become more content in taking longer hours as they saw Sam finding more friends, which is the past years they hadn't seen much of.

Sam reached into his pocket, pulling out his phone to check the time, but it was still at least 30 minutes until the game.

He huffed, seeing his breath in front of his face before it disappeared into the night.

"Next time, maybe listen when I try to get you to wear a bigger coat," Alex muttered, Sam huffing in response as he stuffed his hands deeper into his pockets.